From: Mick Mueck on
Hi,

I'm a Mac user working in a company that is PC and Linux dominated. I have a Mac at work and I funnel everything through it. I mount my Linux box onto my Mac using Samba, and navigate it's filesystem through the Finder and run programs on it while displaying all the X-windows back to my Mac. It all works very well, except for several annoying issues pertaining to Samba e.g. mounts often lock up, I can't copy a file into my own Linux hierarchy because it says my Linux machine has no space left (which is not right). I'm guessing this is all the Mac's fault due to it's version or implementation of Samba. Apple is not very good at supporting/updating this kind of thing.

On macupdate.com I note that samba 3.4.3 is available for the Mac, but:
1. Unlike pretty much every other platform, there is no prebuilt binary/installer for the Mac.
2. It seems to be a server only and I'm guessing I just need a client.

Assuming my Samba issues are all on the Mac side, does anyone have a recommendation about upgrading my machine to something better in the Samba department - I'm running the latest 10.6 Snow Leopard operating system. Please bear in mind that I'm just a 'user' and a genuine fish out of water when it comes to manually building a software installation ('make' and library linking etc).

Many thanks in advance for your reply.