From: Roel van Meer on
Hi list,

I've got a generic question about Point'n'print.

We're using Point'n'print with different versions of samba (3.3.x, 3.4.x,
3.5.x) and in most cases it works really well. However, there are some
printer drivers with which we just cannot get printing to work properly: in
these cases not all driver features (like color, duplex or multiple copies)
are available.

I was wondering if this is a known inherent problem with some printer
drivers, or if this is caused by samba not supporting specific methods or
other requirements that these drivers would have.

The reason I'm asking is that I would like to know whether or not it's
useful filing bugs for these issues. I already have test setups and I'm
willing and able to spend time helping debug these issues, but if this is
one of those things that'll just never work it's not really useful bothering
anyone with it.

Examples of drivers that we can't get to work properly are the Brother
HL4040-CN and various drivers from HP (the bundled Windows drivers for HP
printers usually work fine.)

Thanks for any thoughts,

roel