From: Marten Gajda on
Hi All,

I'm developing a Fuse-based file system, which is intended to be
exported via Samba to the Windows world. My first question is how am I
supposed to export it. Currently I can export it only by setting the
allow_root mount option. Is it possible to share a Fuse file system
without allow_root?
The Share's section looks like this:

[dmfs]
comment = dmfstest
path = /home/marten/dmfs
public = no
writable = yes

My second problem is not samba related but maybe someone here knows how
to deal with it. Currently I'm writing some explorer extensions (context
menus, property sheets ...) to help windows users using the special
features of the file system. My problem is: The file system has some
special files whose content is determined when the file is read. So the
size is not known in advance. The file has the direct_io flag set and a
read simply returns nothing when the file is read beyond the content (as
suggested by the fuse development wiki). This works perfectly under
Linux but it doesn't in windows (using the api function fileread). Those
files are always empty. I would appreciate if someone could give me a
hint how to read such a file file using the windows api.

regards

Marten