From: Christian PERRIER on
(please note that this mail is crossposted to 3 lists. No need to CC
me to answers, I read the 3 of them...)

Some users (including me with my professionnal hat) want to use 3.5
versions of samba on production servers running Debian. Of course,
most of the time, these production servers are running Debian lenny
(the stable version of the distribution).

Debian lenny ships with samba 3.2.5, so these users need a
"backported" package....or to compile packages themselves.

We already had backports of samba 3.4.7, which is the version
currently shipped in Debian "testing" (aka "the next Debian
version"). These are available through the http://backports.org
service, also known as the "nearly completely official backport
service of the Debian project".

The policy of backports.org does not allow us to provide 3.5 packages
there, because these versions are not in Debian testing.

So, as a service to our users, I prepared some packages which are now
available from http://pkg-samba.alioth.debian.org, also known as "the
not so official but still quite actively supported backport service of the
samba packaging team of the Debian project" (which makes a fairly long
name...).

These packages are functionally identical to 3.5.2 package we provide
in Debian experimental....but are usable on Debian "lenny" systems.

There are however a few limitations:
- they're provided only for i386 and amd64 architectures
- they require the backported cifs-utils, ctdb and libtalloc2 packages
from backprots.org (cifs-utils is only required if you previously
had the "smbfs" package that provide (u)mount.cifs

To use these packages, you need to add the following to
/etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://pkg-samba.alioth.debian.org/packages lenny-backports-latest/

Then packages must be installed with:

apt-get install -t lenny-backports-latest samba <winbind> ....

Please note that these packages are not (yet) digitally signed, so
apt-get might complain and ask for confirmation. I should improve this
in the future. This is why this mail is currently GPG-signed with the
key I'm using for Debian packaging.