From: Ray Van Dolson on
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 04:49:33PM -0800, Jon Forrest wrote:
> I have a Sun 7310 storage server. This is
> running Solaris 10 but it's self-contained
> and I can't login to it or run Samba on it.
> I manage it with a web interface.
>
> I have a CentOS 5.3 machine that mounts
> a bunch of file systems via NFS from the
> Sun server. This works fine. I installed
> Samba 3.4.5 on the CentOS machine and
> configured it to share some of the directories
> that are actually NFS mounts from the Sun
> server. I'm able to map these directories
> from both Windows XP and Windows 7.
>
> I'm seeing several problems:
>
> 1) Accessing the mapped directories from
> Windows when running Microsoft Office apps is
> extremely slow. I don't have any exact numbers
> but let's say the speed is unusable. Ironically,
> other programs, such as 'vim' and 'notepad'
> don't have this speed problem when accessing
> the same shares.
>
> 2) Again, using Microsoft Office apps, Windows XP
> machines see files as read-only. Windows 7 works
> fine on the same files.
>
> The Sun has a non-Samba CIFS implementation
> but it's non-intuitive to set up so I haven't
> tried it. I'm wondering if what I describe
> should work.
>
> Here's the smb.conf configuration for the share:
>
> [bgroup]
>
> valid users = bgroup
> path = /home/bgroup
> public = no
> writeable = yes
> browseable = no
> create mask = 012
> create mode = 0660
> directory mode = 0770
>
> Any comments or suggestions?
>
> Cordially,

First of all, you really don't want to re-export NFS mounts via Samba.

Secondly, if you absolutely must do it, I recommend the following
settings:

[global]
# your other options here...
oplocks = No
level2 oplocks = No

On certain shares, you may want to set:

posix locking = No

Ray
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 04:49:33PM -0800, Jon Forrest wrote:
> I have a Sun 7310 storage server. This is
> running Solaris 10 but it's self-contained
> and I can't login to it or run Samba on it.
> I manage it with a web interface.

You need to get over that. Running Samba on NFS imports is a
really bad idea. At least every month people report strange
lockups, timeouts and other weird things on this list that
can be attributed to NFS imports. You should really contact
SUN for information how to log into that box and install
Samba.

Volker
From: Nicholas Brealey on
The Sun 7310 is a storage appliance. It is not running Solaris 10 but
runs an OS based on Open Solaris with CIFS and Windows style
authentication integrated in the kernel. Installing Samba is not an option.

You really should be using the integrated CIFs server.
It is probably simpler to set up than Samba but is probably not as
flexible (has fewer configuration options).

There is a simulator you can play with to learn how to set it up. Sun
offer courses on setting it up. Sun offer a service to set it up for
you. The manual is available on the Internet or from the storage device.
There is a forum where these devices are discussed. You almost
certainly got a support contract when you bough the device.

If you cannot use its CIFS server (ie if you are using a NT 4 style
domain or a Samba PDC) perhaps using iSCSI to the Linux box and sharing
with Samba is the next best option.

See:

http://wikis.sun.com/display/FishWorks/Fishworks
http://forums.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=831

Nick

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:33:36AM -0800, Jon Forrest wrote:
> So, I'll restate the question - what is it
> about NFS exports that gives Samba trouble
> that doesn't occur when serving local files?

Mostly it is locking problems. Some daemons not started,
daemons not 100% working right, etc. Then it is also a big
performance drain. Sending data over the net twice without
proper caching is really subobptimal. Then, potentially not
all features fully supported (EAs, ACLs, etc). This is just
a pain in the neck.

And, for us here on this list it is a pain because all those
problems show up for the Samba clients, so by definition
those bugs appear to be Samba bugs while they are NFS
problems.

Volker
On 1/23/2010 12:48 AM, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> You need to get over that. Running Samba on NFS imports is a
> really bad idea. At least every month people report strange
> lockups, timeouts and other weird things on this list that
> can be attributed to NFS imports.

I'm not doubting that what you say is
true, since I've seen it myself, but
whenever possible I try to get deeper