From: Jim Ramsey on
I have also posted this on IRC.

I have a linux host running stock RHEL 5.4 Samba 3.0.33-3.15. The host acts
both as a Samba server and does a CIFS mount of that same share. The
reason for doing this is so that programs running on the Linux host have
the same case insensitive view as the Windows clients.

I have nocase set in the relevant line in /etc/fstab
I have case sensitive = No set in the smb.conf.

Still I get case sensitive responses though odd ones.

Example:
The native Linux directory that is share is named /srv/XXXX.
There would be a directory /srv/XXXX/AAAbbb which contains
a file Fred.txt.
The directory, /srv/XXXX, is shared as XXXX. The Linux host
CIFS mounts it as //localhost/XXXX on /XXXX.SMB.
Generally, everyone accesses Fred.txt through /XXXX.SMB/AAAbbb.
Nobody accesses it through /srv/XXXX.

Here's where things get strange
ls -l /XXXX.SMB/AAAbbb/Fred.txt and all variations works!
but
sum /XXXX.SMB/AAAbbb/Fred.txt only works if you get the
case just right.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Jim Ramsey