From: Grady Neely on
Hi,

I am trying to get my Samba installation to use PAM under Ubuntu. I have created the /etc/pam.d/samba, but as far as I can tell samba is not using the directives in there. I have ssh and netatalk using PAM successfully against a Kerberos ticket issuer, so I know my PAM installation is working for some services. I am sure I have something wrong in my smb.conf as I am a bit of a newbie with samba when it comes to PAM.

My /etc/pam.d/samba file is a clone of my netatalk PAM file, because my netatalk shares are working just fine.

Here is my [global] section from smb.conf:

[global]
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
obey pam restrictions = yes
map to guest = bad user
# encrypt passwords = true
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u