From: Jori Mantysalo on
I got very strange behavior:

Server A has local passwords (made with smbpasswd -a) and it also use
password from other server:

security = server
password server = b.domain.example
passdb backend = tdbsam

With OLDER user accounts everything works. With WIN-XP everything works.
With CMD-PROMPT everything works. With LOCAL PASSWORDS everything works.
With PERMISSIONS TO GROUP everything works.

I can map home directory to drive letter (say, O:). When I doubleclick it,
it says "access denied", if I use newer user account, use Win7, use
passwords from remote server, and home directory has permissions only for
user. At same time I can open cmd-prompt and say "dir o:" and it works.

If permissions are like this

drwx------ 8 majahu majahu 4096 2010-02-18 13:06 /home/majahu

I got access denied, but it works if they are

drwxrwx--- 8 majahu majahu 4096 2010-02-18 13:06 /home/majahu

So what is going on? There is exact combination of 5 things that makes
this bug visible.

There must be something wrong with newer user accounts. I have confirmed 3
working account and 3 not working; it might be that older accounts have
been made with older smbpasswd-file and later converted to .tdb. I have
tdbdumped passwords.tdb, but have no idea what to look for.

--
Jori Mäntysalo