From: Steve Blackwell on
It's really weird how many times thing break in threes. This time is
was my wife's laptop, my router and a phone.

Anyway...

My network has a router and 2 computers; my F11 box with the samba
server on it called steve and my wife's laptop now running Windows 7
called Kellie-PC.

My old router was a Linksys WRT54G that I had flashed with DD-WRT. I
was using DHCP and DNS masquerading in the router. The new router is a
CISCO E3000 which isn't supported yet by DD-WRT so no local DNS but
I'm still using DHCP. For my test I added Kellie-PC to /etc/hosts and
check the IP address before I run the test.

steve can ping Kellie-PC by name and Kellie-PC can ping steve by IP
address.

I have one samba user, Kellie, defined.

Following the samba checklist
(http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html)
and running these commands in a terminal window on steve as user steve:

$ smbclient -L steve -U Kellie
Enter Kellie's password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7-0.50.fc11]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
homes Disk Home Directories
Kellie Disk Kellies Documents and Settings folder
on the Winblows side of Steves computer
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Steve's Samba Server
Version 3.4.7-0.50.fc11)
DESKJET_600 Printer Steve's printer
-2600-Series Printer Lexmark 2600 Series
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7-0.50.fc11]

Server Comment
--------- -------
COPPERFISH E3000
STEVE Steve's Samba Server Version
3.4.7-0.50.fc11

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
WORKGROUP COPPERFISH

$ nmblookup -B steve __SAMBA__
querying __SAMBA__ on 127.0.0.1
192.168.1.120 __SAMBA__<00>

$ nmblookup -B Kellie-PC '*'
querying * on 192.168.1.122
name_query failed to find name *

I suspect that this is some kind of permissions problem on the Win7 box
but the fact that the E3000 router is showing up as the workgroup
master also looks suspect.
I have tried adding the registry key LmCompatabilityMode = 1 to the
Win7 machine but no luck.

Any help or pointers to some readable Win7 docs would be appreciated.
This used to work OK under Vista.

Thanks,
Steve.