From: Robert LeBlanc on
The changes have not made it into a 3.3.x release yet, 3.3.7 was a security
release, ideally 3.3.8 should have the fix. There were quiet a number of
configuration changes from 3.0.x to 3.3.x in regards to Active Directory,
you may not be able to use you old config without updating some things.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Ivan Ordonez <iordonez(a)berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I am using Samba version 3.0.36. When I upgraded to 3.3.7, I got some
> "realm" complaints when I run testparm and some "ADS" related error. The
> 3.3.7 version is masked by Gentoo portage and not sure if it will be
> available soon.
>
> Thanks,
> -Ivan
>

> Robert LeBlanc wrote:
>
> What version of samba are you using? I submitted a patch to Samba that is
> in 3.4.1 and slated for the next version of 3.3.x that fixes the
> workgroup/realm thing. It falls back to SPEGO without the patch, but it
> takes a little while, the patch speeds things up.
>
> Robert LeBlanc
> Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
> Brigham Young University
>

> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Jonathan Petersson <jpetersson(a)garnser.se
> > wrote:
>
>> How did you solve the kerberos portion how things, when winbind tries
>> to connect to my server the kerberos sessions fails as it tries to
>> connect with the workgroup instead of the realm.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> /Jonathan
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Ivan Ordonez <iordonez(a)berkeley.edu>
>> wrote:

>> access
>> kind

>> read

>> write
>> drive
>> that
>> or

>> > Hi Jonathan,
>> >
>> > Our Samba server is a member of Win2k8R2 domain.
>> > Thanks,
>> > -Ivan

I was able to install 3.3.8 version of Samba. I am running it now. I
can see shares, but could not write at all.

ACL seems simple but I can't get it to work. Any help or advise would
be greatly appreciated.

Robert LeBlanc wrote:
> [...]
>> of the same
>> accounts/domain
>> Directory
>> file permission
>> smbclient, getent,
>> box from
>> problem using
>> authentication

>> permissions to
>> on the
>> users or
>> smb.conf. Below is

>> following URL and read
>> https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba

>> local Linux
>> owner, read and write
>> the shared drive
>> use ACL if that
>> few pointers or
>> am no LDAP

>> read the
>> >>>

>> > Hi Jonathan,
>> >
>> > Our Samba server is a member of Win2k8R2 domain.

Sorry, my bad, 3.3.8 was the security release. It sounds like it is working
however. As far as ACLs, make sure that ACLs are turned on on your file
system (mount -o acl for most filesystems) and the make sure you have the
ACL packages for your distro installed (Debian apt-get install acl). Then
it's a matter of using the setfacl command like `setfacl -m
d:u:<ad-user>:rwx,u:<ad-user>:rwx,d:g:<ad-group>:rx,g:<ad-group>:rx
/my/shared/dir.

You can add as many ACLs as you want, remember that the linux default rwx
perms sets the max for ACL users and groups. If the linux user (owner) ACL
is rx, then even though an ACL specifies another user with rwx, they will
only have rx. The second thing to remember is that the default ACL is not
needed, but if specified will set those ACLs on all new files and
directories and act much like Windows. If you set the permissions using
Windows, the default ACL will be set. Thidly, only Linux user and group have
the file counted against their quota, permissions assigned in ACLs do not
affect thoes user and groups quotas. Fourtly, some applications are not ACL
aware, Apache for instance does not look at ACLs on Linux. To check your set
ACLs, use getfacl /this/is/my/file.

Hope that helps.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Ivan Ordonez <iordonez(a)berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I was able to install 3.3.8 version of Samba. I am running it now. I can
> see shares, but could not write at all.
>
> ACL seems simple but I can't get it to work. Any help or advise would be
> greatly appreciated.
>

> Robert LeBlanc wrote:
>
> The changes have not made it into a 3.3.x release yet, 3.3.7 was a security
> release, ideally 3.3.8 should have the fix. There were quiet a number of
> configuration changes from 3.0.x to 3.3.x in regards to Active Directory,
> you may not be able to use you old config without updating some things.
>
> Robert LeBlanc
> Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
> Brigham Young University
>

> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Ivan Ordonez <iordonez(a)berkeley.edu>wrote:
>

>> I am using Samba version 3.0.36. When I upgraded to 3.3.7, I got some
>> "realm" complaints when I run testparm and some "ADS" related error. The
>> 3.3.7 version is masked by Gentoo portage and not sure if it will be
>> available soon.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Ivan
>>
>> Robert LeBlanc wrote:
>>
>> What version of samba are you using? I submitted a patch to Samba that is
>> in 3.4.1 and slated for the next version of 3.3.x that fixes the
>> workgroup/realm thing. It falls back to SPEGO without the patch, but it
>> takes a little while, the patch speeds things up.
>>
>> Robert LeBlanc
>> Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
>> Brigham Young University
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Jonathan Petersson <
>> jpetersson(a)garnser.se> wrote:
>>
>>> How did you solve the kerberos portion how things, when winbind tries
>>> to connect to my server the kerberos sessions fails as it tries to
>>> connect with the workgroup instead of the realm.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> /Jonathan

>>> access
>>> kind
>>> LDAP

>>> iordonez(a)berkeley.edu

>>> read

>>> write
>>> drive
>>> that
>>> or

I was able to set ACL with local username but can't do it on domain
username or groups.

hostname ~ # getfacl /shared/drive
# file: shared/drive
# owner: mylocalusername
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:other::r-x

When I tried to set ACLs for domain account or groups, it was invalid
option.

hostname ~ #setfacl -m g:"DOMAIN+Domain Admins":rwx /shared/drive
setfacl: Option -m: Invalid argument near character 3

hostname ~ #setfacl -m g:"DOMAIN+myusername":rwx /shared/drive
setfacl: Option -m: Invalid argument near character 3

I believe the drive is mounted and ACL is enable.

hostname ~ # mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,acl)

Here is my /etc/fstab
/dev/hda3 / ext3 noatime,acl 0 1

What I find odd is running wbinfo and getent command to be very
inconsistent. I would sometimes get result and sometimes not.
hostname ~ # wbinfo -u
Error looking up domain users

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Robert LeBlanc wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> How did you solve the kerberos portion how things, when
>>> winbind tries
>>> to connect to my server the kerberos sessions fails as
>>> it tries to
>>> connect with the workgroup instead of the realm.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> /Jonathan
>>>
>>> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Ivan Ordonez
>>> <iordonez(a)berkeley.edu <mailto:iordonez(a)berkeley.edu>>

>>> issues with the
>>> server a member

>>> <iordonez(a)berkeley.edu <mailto:iordonez(a)berkeley.edu>>

>>> ACLs to control access
>>> flexability and you can kind
>>> Kerberos keytab
>>> no passwords are
>>> to use RID or LDAP

>>> Support

>>> <iordonez(a)berkeley.edu <mailto:iordonez(a)berkeley.edu>

wbinfo needs to work all the time or you will have problems, getent does not
need to (we have enum users and groups to no because we have so many objects
in our AD). I would look at the winbind logs to get an idea of what is wrong
Debian has this at /var/log/samba/log.winbindd. I usually get several
connection reset by peer lines, and some Could not receive trustdoms, but it
seems to recover and retty and things work. What you are looking for is
failure to connect to a server, or trying to connect to a bad server ro
something. It sounds like you are getting close, the last mile is always the
hardest.