From: Shane T. Drinkwater on
Hello,
I am using Citrix XenServer for my VM environment. I found that If I am using samba 3.4.3 and dump a vm from a Citrix xen node the resulting image is not importable(ie corrupt) into xenCenter. If I am using samba-3.3.9 and perform the same operation everything works great. To dump the vm's from Xen I mount a samba share from the domU OS. I use the following xen commands to dump the vm

mount -t cifs //172.27.1.100/xenBackups /mnt -o username=sdrinkwater,pass=somepass,dom=ad.pa-ucl.com
xe vm-snapshot vm=guest_name new-name-label=backup_vm
xe template-param-set is-a-template=false uuid=snapshotUUID
xe vm-export vm=snapshotUUID filename=exportfilename.xva
xe vm-uninstall uuid=snapshotUUID force=true
umount /mnt

Has anyone else experienced this ?? My info is as follows

XenServer mount.cifs version --> mount.cifs version: 1.10
My two test samba servers where build from source with the following config
../configure --with-winbind --with-pam --with-aio-support

My smb.conf from the 3.3.9 server
[global]
netbios name = medusa
netbios aliases = insuranceSrv wellnessSrv accountingSrv backupSrv lisSrv personnelSrv hercules copathImagesSrv
security = ADS
realm = AD.PA-UCL.COM
enable privileges = yes
large readwrite = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
workgroup = ad-pa-ucl
server string = central file server
domain master = no
local master = no
map to guest = bad user
name resolve order = wins bcast host
preferred master = no
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
wins server = 172.27.1.28
#=======================Winbindd Stuff ==================================
password server = *
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
winbind separator = +
template shell = /bin/bash
template homedir = /home/%D/%U
winbind cache time = 60
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind use default domain = yes
allow trusted domains = Yes

[netBackups]
path = /home/samba/netBackups
writable = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
valid users = "AD-PA-UCL+Administrator","AD-PA-UCL+sdrinkwater"
write list = "AD-PA-UCL+Administrator","AD-PA-UCL+sdrinkwater"

My smb.conf from the 3.4.3 server
#======================= Global Settings =====================================
netbios name = virtualtest
workgroup = ad-pa-ucl
security = ADS
realm = AD.PA-UCL.COM
enable privileges = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
local master = no
preferred master = no
map to guest = bad user
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
large readwrite = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

#================ Winbind stuff =============================
winbind separator = +
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind use default domain = Yes
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
template shell = /bin/bash
template homedir = /home/%D/%U

[xenBackups]
path = /home/samba/backups/xenbackups
writable = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
valid users = "AD-PA-UCL+Administrator","AD-PA-UCL+sdrinkwater"
write list = "AD-PA-UCL+Administrator","AD-PA-UCL+sdrinkwater"

NOTICE: This email may contain legally privileged information. The information
is for the use of only the intended recipient(s) even if addressed
incorrectly. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
that you have received it in error and then delete it along with any
attachments. Thank you.