From: Volker Lendecke on
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:53:11AM -0400, David Sirrine wrote:
> Below, you will find the pertinent information regarding my installation and
> configuration regarding my samba install. I am currently trying to move my
> companies file server off of windows and on to CentOS using Samba.
> Everything works great, until I enable vfs_full_audit. Once I do that, the
> server comes to a screaching halt due to the fact that when a user browses
> to the mapped directory from their windows machine, it stats every single
> directory. I need to be able to do logging due to industry compliance needs,
> and it looks like the full_audit is what will get the job done best for me.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Possibly the sync operations triggered by syslogd make it
*really* slow. You might want to look up the documentation
of your syslog daemon how to turn off syncs for the file
Samba is logging to.

> Also, I'm noticing a LOT of failures as it stats all the directories, it's
> looking for desktop.ini. Again, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

If your compliance requirements are such that you have to
log everything, then there is probably not much you can do
here. Logging everything is *very* verbose though, sure. You
need to decide and configure what to really log to comply.

Volker