From: Roger Lynn on
Hi,

Since upgrading from etch to lenny when it came out, all my Samba logs have
been full of lines like:

[2010/08/13 15:07:11, 0] lib/util_sock.c:matchname(1749)
matchname: host name/address mismatch: ::ffff:127.0.0.1 != localhost
[2010/08/13 15:07:11, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_name(1870)
Matchname failed on localhost ::ffff:127.0.0.1

As accessing files from Windows clients still works I've been able to work
around it, so I've ignored it, but now I think it's preventing me from
adding printers. There are lots of similar reports around, but I can't find
any solutions. I am using only Debian Lenny packages with security updates
and proposed updates. I am using dnsmasq for DNS. My smb.conf file is below.
I have not knowingly done any customisation or configuration relating to IPv6.

Is this a bug in my configuration, samba or somewhere else, possibly dnsmasq?

Obviously this is IPv6 related. As I can't find any way of disabling IPv6 in
Samba, the simplest solution appears to be to disable IPv6 on the entire
machine. Has anyone got any better suggestions?

Thanks,

Roger

smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = FOO
server string = %h server
obey pam restrictions = Yes
passdb backend = tdbsam
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000