From: Hugo Connery on
Hi,

When I deployed our samba setup 3 years ago, using 3.0.23 x86_64 from the ftp.sernet.dk<ftp://ftp.sernet.dk> distribution
smbd used to break hard links when saving files. This was useful as one could make a backup
based purely on a recursive hard link copy. When a user updated a file, it would break the link,
which left us with a 'previous' version in the backup tree and the new version in the served tree.

smbd does not seem to do this anymore (RedHat distribution 3.0.33 x86_64). That is, when one
saves a file the link is not broken, and both hard links (served and backup) are the same
(the new version). This defeats my backup mechanism.

I would like to know if the 'breaks hard links on save' functionality is still available. It was very nice
to have a history of snapshots based purely on hard link copies.

Thanks, in advance, for any assitance.

Regards,
--
Hugo Connery, Head of IT, DTU Environment
http://www.env.dtu.dk