From: Juan Miscaro on
Hi all,

As an experiment I'm trying to log into a samba server (3.3.2) from
GDM. Both systems are running Ubuntu 9.04 and LDAP is not involved.

But it's not working.

The test user credentials are donkey/donkey .

On the client:

# net rpc join -S 192.168.0.1 -U root
Enter root's password:
Joined domain LAB-SAMBA.

# wbinfo -t
checking the trust secret via RPC calls succeeded

# wbinfo -a donkey%donkey
plaintext password authentication succeeded
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

However, getent does not show samba users:

# getent passwd | grep donkey

===========

On the server I see the following when I "successfully" authenticate
(as shown above):

rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:_netr_ServerAuthenticate2(546)
_netr_ServerAuthenticate2: netlogon_creds_server_check failed.
Rejecting auth request from client MISC-DESKTOP machine account
MISC-DESKTOP$

I'm also getting a lot of the following in /var/log/samba/log.winbindd-idmap:

winbindd/idmap_tdb.c:idmap_tdb_alloc_init(341)
idmap uid or idmap gid missing
winbindd/idmap.c:idmap_alloc_init(587)
ERROR: Initialization failed for alloc backend, deferred!

===========

Anyone?

I've attached the following:

* server's smb.conf (server_smbconf.txt)
* client's smb.conf (client_smbconf.txt)
* client's nsswitch.conf (client_nsswitch.txt)
* client's pam.d gdm (client_pam.d_gdm.txt)
* client's pam.d common-auth (client_pam.d_common-auth.txt)
* client's pam.d common-account (client_pam.d_common-account.txt)

--
/jm