From: Hong K Phooey on
We have a service on our windows system that drops files onto a samba share every 10 minutes. This has worked fine, except after one week, the system will fail. We usually restart samba and winbind on the linux side, and then restart the service on the windows box to resolve the issue.

This week we decieded to let it fail, and after an hour it seemed to allow connections to the samba share. Here is the log file of the failures:

172.19.6.60 (172.19.6.60) closed connection to service lorian
[2010/06/21 09:40:03, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:342(reply_spnego_kerberos)
Failed to verify incoming ticket with error NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE!

This repeats every minute until 10:33 am, when the service was able to reconnect to the share.

Is there a reason why this would fail every week at the same time? Do these settings have anything to do with the issue?

Default: idmap cache time = 604800 (one week)
Default: machine password timeout = 604800

For the machine password timeout, is it necessary for it to update this often. Can it be set to only attempt once per year, longer?

One other question, is it possible to see the data contained in secrets.tdb? The modified time of this file always lets us know that the share failure is imminent. For example, file date was 6/21/10 9:36 am, first connection after that time was 9:40 am and it failed.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

PDC: windows 2008 R2
Samba: 3.4.7 on ubuntu 10.4

Testparm:
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

[global]
workgroup = test
realm = TEST.LOCAL
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
security = ADS
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
password server = pdc21.test.local
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000