From: R Halim on
Just a few question about Samyang and Russian lenses. The ultra wide
angle lenses (included fish eye lens) have very cheap price in
comparison to the name brand lenses. I wonder if anyone who uses these
lenses can comment about the image quality, and performance of these
lenses.
Where do you get your lenses? I could not find much info for
distributor in North America, except from e-bay.
Why do Samyang's lenses appear to be coming out from its Poland's
office? Is it because they are targeting the european market from the
Polish branch of Samyang?
Are Russian lenses (Peleng, Industar, Jupiter, etc) made in Russia or
Ukraine? Are these the same company who make the Zenit camera?
Thanks for info.
From: Ray Fischer on
R Halim <aniramca(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Just a few question about Samyang and Russian lenses. The ultra wide
>angle lenses (included fish eye lens) have very cheap price in
>comparison to the name brand lenses. I wonder if anyone who uses these
>lenses can comment about the image quality, and performance of these
>lenses.

They're often missing autofocus and sometimes even auto aperture.
That saves a lot on the price. They also have small apertures making
them useful only for sunlit scenes.

>Where do you get your lenses? I could not find much info for
>distributor in North America, except from e-bay.

Try Amazon.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Rich on
On Apr 17, 6:24 pm, R Halim <anira...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a few question about Samyang and Russian lenses. The ultra wide
> angle lenses (included fish eye lens) have very cheap price in
> comparison to the name brand lenses. I wonder if anyone who uses these
> lenses can comment about the image quality, and performance of these
> lenses.
> Where do you get your lenses? I could not find much info for
> distributor in North America, except from e-bay.
> Why do Samyang's lenses appear to be coming out from its Poland's
> office? Is it because they are targeting the european market from the
> Polish branch of Samyang?
> Are Russian lenses (Peleng, Industar, Jupiter, etc) made in Russia or
> Ukraine? Are these the same company who make the Zenit camera?
> Thanks for info.

Jupiter 9 (Russian) was the worst 85mm lens I've ever used. I
wouldn't touch it on a bet. The Samyang are overrated by fans, but
are acceptable for the price.