From: Angeldelight on
Hi Everyone,

I really enjoy the Access Database System it has helped me a lot with my
accounts but I must be doing something wrong because, I keep opening new
databases for each month instead of it following on from the previous month
and using the same "Categories!."
So my question is How do I save the previous month and let it be stored, and
start a new month on the same system or page but without adding up what has
been put in the system... If you know what I`m on about.

Thank you
Angeldelight... melting in the UK weather :)

From: Ed Robichaud on
Hard to advise without some info about your tables, but sure sounds like a
bad data structure - more like an Excel workbook where each spreadsheet tab
is one months data.

Let's use your checking account as an example:

tblMyChecks
TransactionID
AccountID
TransType
TransDate
Amount
etc....

This one table can store all transactions from all accounts for all dates.
You display and report a single account's records for a single month by
using a query to filter the transactions.

Look at some of the existing sample databases in Access for tips on how they
structure and relate tables.