From: tedd on
At 12:40 PM -0400 4/13/10, Robert Cummings wrote:
>Dan Joseph wrote:
>>On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM, tedd <tedd.sperling(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>So, OP explain what you are trying to do?
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>tedd
>>

>>Sorta looks to me like he's in a situation where users are fleeing the form,
>>and wondering why its not filled in when they go back. The natural reaction
>>for this would be to call it abnormal, and tell them to learn how to use a
>>web page, but we all know how the real world is.
>>
>>I like the original ideas from Peter and Ashley. Store a session or cookie,
>>use ajax to periodically update a database table with the information, then
>>re-populate it if/when they come back.
>>
>>I kinda like that word Paradigm. Rolls off the tongue nicely. I'm going to
>>use it 3 times today before I leave the office.
>
>I had a pair-a-dimes one time. Unfortunately I was a nickel short of
>a quarter to put in the slot.
>
>:)
>
>Cheers,
>Rob.

Rob:

I had a pair-a-ducks -- but they were afoul fowl.

I had a pair-a-dice -- but crapped out.

I had a pair-a-chute -- but one was shorter.

I had a pair-of-pants -- but could only find one.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com http://ancientstones.com http://earthstones.com
From: Robert Cummings on
Dan Joseph wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Robert Cummings <robert(a)interjinn.com>wrote
>
>> I had a pair-a-dimes one time. Unfortunately I was a nickel short of a
>> quarter to put in the slot.
>>

> But the question is... were they outside the box?

They were in my pocket... so yes!

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Robert Cummings on

tedd wrote:
> At 12:40 PM -0400 4/13/10, Robert Cummings wrote:
>> Dan Joseph wrote:

>>> Sorta looks to me like he's in a situation where users are fleeing the form,
>>> and wondering why its not filled in when they go back. The natural reaction
>>> for this would be to call it abnormal, and tell them to learn how to use a
>>> web page, but we all know how the real world is.
>>>
>>> I like the original ideas from Peter and Ashley. Store a session or cookie,
>>> use ajax to periodically update a database table with the information, then
>>> re-populate it if/when they come back.
>>>
>>> I kinda like that word Paradigm. Rolls off the tongue nicely. I'm going to
>>> use it 3 times today before I leave the office.
>> I had a pair-a-dimes one time. Unfortunately I was a nickel short of
>> a quarter to put in the slot.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob.
>
> Rob:
>
> I had a pair-a-ducks -- but they were afoul fowl.
>
> I had a pair-a-dice -- but crapped out.
>
> I had a pair-a-chute -- but one was shorter.
>
> I had a pair-of-pants -- but could only find one.

So to paraphrase...

You had a pair-a-ducks that lived in pair-a-dice but when pair-a-chuting
only one could find a pair-a-pants because the other one was shorter?

Gotcha... clear as tar!

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Dan Joseph on
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Robert Cummings <robert(a)interjinn.com>wrote:

> Toilets flush themselves so that we don't need to touch what someone else
> touched... very likely after *cough* wiping up.

They have a cure for having to life a finger and wipe also.... but I won't
continue lol

--
-Dan Joseph

www.canishosting.com - Unlimited Hosting Plans start @ $3.95/month. Promo
Code "NEWTHINGS" for 10% off initial order

http://www.facebook.com/canishosting
http://www.facebook.com/originalpoetry
From: Peter Lind on
On 13 April 2010 17:27, Paul M Foster <paulf(a)quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 03:20:23PM +0200, Merlin Morgenstern wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I have form where users enter data to be saved in a db.
>>
>> How can I make php save the form data into a session before the user
>> leaves the page without pressing the submit button? Some members leave
>> the page and return afterwards wondering where their already entered
>> data is.
>
> I hate to be a contrarian (not really), but there is a paradigm for
> using web forms. If you want the internet to save your data, you have to
> press the little button. If you don't, then it won't be saved. Not hard
> to figure out, not hard to do. If you have to go do something else while
> you're in the middle of a form, open a new tab/window and do it. When
> you come back to your original form, the data will still be there (but
> again, not *saved* until you hit the little button).
>
> Sorry, I just get cranky with people who won't follow the rules.

There are rules and then there's stupidity based on tradition. The
fact that websites previously threw away whatever work you had done
because you automatically got logged out of your session after half an
hour of typing does not mean you should call this a rule that should
be adhere to. Google figured it out and did so well: backup
automatically and let the user discard manually - not the other way
round that leads to lost work.

Apart from that, I note that the OP has seemingly managed to solve the
problem and all these emails are rather pointless.

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk