From: Peter Lind on
On 13 April 2010 15:20, Merlin Morgenstern <merlin_x(a)fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have form where users enter data to be saved in a db.
>
> How can I make php save the form data into a session before the user leaves
> the page without pressing the submit button? Some members leave the page and
> return afterwards wondering where their already entered data is.
>
> Any ideas how to save into php session data before someone leaves the page?

Use ajax: send a query to the server a couple of seconds after the
user has last updated the form.

> Thank you for any hint,
>
> Merlin

<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/plind
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fake51
BeWelcome: Fake51
Couchsurfing: Fake51
</hype>
From: Dan Joseph on
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM, tedd <tedd.sperling(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> So, OP explain what you are trying to do?
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

Sorta looks to me like he's in a situation where users are fleeing the form,
and wondering why its not filled in when they go back. The natural reaction
for this would be to call it abnormal, and tell them to learn how to use a
web page, but we all know how the real world is.

I like the original ideas from Peter and Ashley. Store a session or cookie,
use ajax to periodically update a database table with the information, then
re-populate it if/when they come back.

I kinda like that word Paradigm. Rolls off the tongue nicely. I'm going to
use it 3 times today before I leave the office.

--
-Dan Joseph

www.canishosting.com - Unlimited Hosting Plans start @ $3.95/month. Promo
Code "NEWTHINGS" for 10% off initial order

http://www.facebook.com/canishosting
http://www.facebook.com/originalpoetry
From: Robert Cummings on
Dan Joseph wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM, tedd <tedd.sperling(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So, OP explain what you are trying to do?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> tedd
>

> Sorta looks to me like he's in a situation where users are fleeing the form,
> and wondering why its not filled in when they go back. The natural reaction
> for this would be to call it abnormal, and tell them to learn how to use a
> web page, but we all know how the real world is.
>
> I like the original ideas from Peter and Ashley. Store a session or cookie,
> use ajax to periodically update a database table with the information, then
> re-populate it if/when they come back.
>
> I kinda like that word Paradigm. Rolls off the tongue nicely. I'm going to
> use it 3 times today before I leave the office.

I had a pair-a-dimes one time. Unfortunately I was a nickel short of a
quarter to put in the slot.

:)

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Dan Joseph on
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Robert Cummings <robert(a)interjinn.com>wrote

From: Paul M Foster on
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:36:02PM -0400, Dan Joseph wrote:

<snip>

> I kinda like that word Paradigm. Rolls off the tongue nicely. I'm going to
> use it 3 times today before I leave the office.

ROTFL!

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster