From: Spamlet on

"Rhino" <no.offline.contact.please(a)example.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> scanner is Windows 2000! - so maybe it is just getting so old that it
> needs to be replaced. Then again, I've never used it very heavily and it
> has been _slightly_ flakey for several years but not as flakey as it has
> been these last few days. I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2 on a
> nearly new quad-core computer with an ASUS-M3A motherboard.
>
> I don't have any idea how to troubleshoot scanners and so little knowledge
> of how they actually work (and interface with the computer) that I don't
> have any idea what, if anything I can do to make this scanner run any
> better. Therefore, please forgive me if I give irrelevant information or
> omit important information in my description of the problem.
>
> Basically, the scanner "stalls" quite frequently, always at the start of a
> scan of a page. My scanner is a flatbed 8.5 x 11 scanner. I seem to be
> able to scan a handful of pages without difficulty, then it just "stalls".
> I leave it alone for many minutes in the hope that it will "wake up" again
> and it occasionally squeaks a few times as if it is about to scan the page
> but then goes still again. Eventually, and I mean MANY minutes later (20
> or more minutes sometimes) I will get one of several different cryptic
> error messages.
>
> I have fully reinstalled the software with the latest version from the HP
> site; this software is dated 2003. This has not helped. I've pretty much
> given up on using the HP Precision Pro software since it hardly ever
> works. However, the Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard gives me somewhat
> better results. Sometimes, I can scan twenty or more pages before it
> starts to "stall".
>
> The only antidote I've found to the problem is to disconnect the power
> from the scanner, leave it disconnected for 15 seconds, then power it up
> again. After that I can OFTEN (but NOT always!) scan again. When that
> doesn't work, I just give up on scanning that day and try again the next
> day when it will typically work again.
>
> One other symptom that I just discovered today which may or may not be
> helpful. I tried to click on My Computer to see some files on my D: drive
> (I have two hard drives) and got only the "flashlight searching for
> folders" animation. I waited several minutes and it utterly failed to find
> my list of drives. I had similar results when I tried using Windows
> Explorer. Then, in a moment of inspiration, I disconnected the power for
> the scanner and My Computer came up right away!
>
> It seems as if the scanner and XP are having some kind of issues but I
> have no idea what kind of issues they could be having or what I could do
> about them.
>
> Sorry for the very vague information but does this give anyone any ideas
> for how I could help myself?
>
> Unfortunately, I can't afford either a repair depot to fix the scanner or
> a new scanner since money is extremely tight right now.....

Might just be the cable connection: have you a spare you can try, or another
socket, or USB? If it was the scanner overheating I wouldn't have expected
that 'flashlight' problem. If you make a note of those error messages and
google for them with the scanner name you may find what they mean, and even
a proper service manual. (Sorry to say I had a quick Google but could only
find the spec rather than the SM and codes.)

From: Rhino on
I haven't called them on the assumption that if I asked for support on a 10+
year old scanner they'd laugh in my face....

If in fact they do support people with very old HP equipment for free, I'd
love to hear about it!

--
Rhino

From: Rhino on

"boatman312" <eracars(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> Computer came up right away!
>>
>> It seems as if the scanner and XP are having some kind of issues but I
>> have
>> no idea what kind of issues they could be having or what I could do about
>> them.
>>
>> Sorry for the very vague information but does this give anyone any ideas
>> for
>> how I could help myself?
>>
>> Unfortunately, I can't afford either a repair depot to fix the scanner or
>> new scanner since money is extremely tight right now.....
>>
>> --
>> Rhino
>>

> Your scanner is probably failing. Time to invest in a new one. Heck, I
> bought an HP All-in-one (superceded model) for under $75. Slow, but works
> fine. Or I can sell you my old Canon USB Flatbed for $25 plus shipping.

I checked the Staples website yesterday and there was only a single
scanner - a Canon - for around $75; every other scanner they carried was
anywhere from $150-$400+. Even the $75 model is more than I can afford right
now. Your old Canon Flatbed would surely start to cost nearly that much by
the time I paid for shipping. (I'm not in the US.)

Thanks anyway....

--
Rhino

From: Rhino on
Yes, I checked and downloaded the latest software, as I said in the original
post.

--
Rhino

From: Nick L. Odeon on
10 years old? There's your problem.

:I haven't called them on the assumption that if I asked for support on a
10+
: year old scanner they'd laugh in my face....
:
: If in fact they do support people with very old HP equipment for free, I'd
: love to hear about it!
:
: --
: Rhino
:
:
: "Nick L. Odeon" <nickl(a)odeon.invalid> wrote in message
: news:i1ktu3$pun$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
: > What did HP support say?
: >
: > "Rhino" <no.offline.contact.please(a)example.com> wrote in message
: > news:eLuX%23G3ILHA.3400(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
: > : I'm having odd problems with my scanner, which is an HP 6200C. I've
had
: > it
: > : for quite a few years now - the newest OS "officially" supported by
the
: > : scanner is Windows 2000! - so maybe it is just getting so old that it
: > needs
: > : to be replaced. Then again, I've never used it very heavily and it has
: > been
: > : _slightly_ flakey for several years but not as flakey as it has been
: > these
: > : last few days. I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2 on a nearly new
: > : quad-core computer with an ASUS-M3A motherboard.
: > :
[...]
: > : "stall".
: > :
[...]
: > : --