From: Paco on
Hi!
I'm having a problem with schedule tasks on a windows 2003 r2 sp2 server.

I have made a batch file name bat.bat and put the simple code of 'xcopy
bat.bat bat.bak'
This batch file I'm putting on another server \\srv2\share\

While logged on to the server as a domain admin ex DA1 I can set up the
scheduled task \\srv2\share\bat.bat and if the user credentials is DA1 I can
run the task and it works just fine.

But if I am still logged on to the server with DA1 and tries to run the same
task with another user, even if this user also is a domain admin ex DA2 the
task does not run
I have tried to add both DA2 and batch to the security to cmd and I have
also given them full ntfs rights to the shared catalog.
But nothing helps, what am I missing? or must I run the tasks as the person
logged onto the server?
From: Paco on
Pardon a newbie but how do I delete the dubble posts?
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Paco" <Paco(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
> I'm having a problem with schedule tasks on a windows 2003 r2 sp2 server.
>
> I have made a batch file name bat.bat and put the simple code of 'xcopy
> bat.bat bat.bak'
> This batch file I'm putting on another server \\srv2\share\
>
> While logged on to the server as a domain admin ex DA1 I can set up the
> scheduled task \\srv2\share\bat.bat and if the user credentials is DA1 I
> can
> run the task and it works just fine.
>
> But if I am still logged on to the server with DA1 and tries to run the
> same
> task with another user, even if this user also is a domain admin ex DA2
> the
> task does not run
> I have tried to add both DA2 and batch to the security to cmd and I have
> also given them full ntfs rights to the shared catalog.
> But nothing helps, what am I missing? or must I run the tasks as the
> person
> logged onto the server?

Modify your batch file as below, then determine if the task really does not
run. I suspect it does. Note that the account used to run the batch file
must have read/write access to C:\.

@echo off
echo %date% %time% %Username% >> c:\schedule.txt

About your multiple posts: When they are posted they remain posted. You
cannot recall them.

From: Paco on
Hi and thank you for your help.

The account has domain admin rights so it can access/write to all the servers
I added the line to the bat.bat file. Which is on srv2
I executed the task on srv1.
The text file and information was created on srv1 c:\ as you said it would.

So to test it further I added the line echo %date% %time% %Username% >>
\\srv2\Dokument\IT\CasaWin\schedule.txt
And this worked also.

Why doesn't the other xcopy line work?
I even changed it to xcopy \\srv2\Dokument\IT\CasaWin\bat.bat
\\srv2\Dokument\IT\CasaWin\bat.bak

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

> Hi and thank you for your help.
>
> The account has domain admin rights so it can access/write to all the
> servers
> I added the line to the bat.bat file. Which is on srv2
> I executed the task on srv1.
> The text file and information was created on srv1 c:\ as you said it
> would.
>
> So to test it further I added the line echo %date% %time% %Username% >>
> \\srv2\Dokument\IT\CasaWin\schedule.txt
> And this worked also.
>
> Why doesn't the other xcopy line work?
> I even changed it to xcopy \\srv2\Dokument\IT\CasaWin\bat.bat
> \\srv2\Dokument\IT\CasaWin\bat.bak

With scheduled tasks the trick is to give yourself eyes. Initially you
thought that the task would not run. By scheduling a very simple batch file
and logging its output (first set of eyes!) you found that it does run. You
now think that xcopy does not work. Let's add another set of eyes like so:

@echo off
echo %date% %time% %Username% >> c:\schedule.txt
xcopy . . . . . . 1>>c:\schedule.txt 2>>&1

Chances are that the log file will tell you everything you need to know. If
things are still unclear then you should post the exact command you use
(which, as a matter of fact, would have been a good idea for your very first
post).