From: Christian ASTOR on
On 22 sep, 08:39, Jerry Coffin <jcof...(a)taeus.com> wrote:

> For this, I think the static control is more hindrance than help.

Static controls are in fact used to make Custom controls by
superclassing them.
It's this method I used in this case for a scrolling Custom control in
a DLL, so that it's easy to use in RAD like Centura (Gupta) : you just
have to drop the control in design mode, by specifying the DLL and
class name, and it scrolls automatically; you can set then properties
like speed, bitmap background, shadow, etc..
From: Jerry Coffin on
In article <14ad0c80-a236-42a2-bb56-
c5f3efbb9d5d(a)k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, castorix(a)club-internet.fr
says...
> On 22 sep, 08:39, Jerry Coffin <jcof...(a)taeus.com> wrote:
>
> > For this, I think the static control is more hindrance than help.
>
> Static controls are in fact used to make Custom controls by
> superclassing them.
> It's this method I used in this case for a scrolling Custom control in
> a DLL, so that it's easy to use in RAD like Centura (Gupta) : you just
> have to drop the control in design mode, by specifying the DLL and
> class name, and it scrolls automatically; you can set then properties
> like speed, bitmap background, shadow, etc..

Yes, I know it's _possible_ to do so. The question is how much you gain
by doing so. The usual reason to subclass or superclass is to make
development easier -- but in this case, you can develop a standalone
control in next to no time at all. Doing a quick check, I had a program
with the horizontal scrolling working as I described in about 18
minutes. I haven't written a custom control in quite a while, so it'd
probably take me a little longer to make it into a control, but I still
doubt it'd take a whole hour, and if I'd written a custom control within
the last year or so, I could probably cut that in half.

I'll repeat: I think in this case, trying to use a static control (via
either sub- or super-classing) is mostly a waste of time. You don't save
enough to justify the work of doing the sub/super-classing itself (I
know that's trivial, but what you gain is basically nothing at all...)

--
Later,
Jerry.