From: Alan Secker on
I currently use knode as I am right now for news group operations but I
sometimes want to search for something that may already have been asked. I
seem to remember using something that would search for content but it may
have been as far back as CompuServe. Does anyone use a reader that permits
this?

From: Paul Rudin on
Alan Secker <alan(a)asandco.co.uk> writes:

> I currently use knode as I am right now for news group operations but I
> sometimes want to search for something that may already have been asked. I
> seem to remember using something that would search for content but it may
> have been as far back as CompuServe. Does anyone use a reader that permits
> this?

gnus can do this - of course you need the article to still exist on the
news server - most servers expire articles after a bit. You could run
your own server that didn't expire articles in groups that you were
interested in if you wanted. leafnode is fairly painless for this sort
of thing.

google groups has an archive - although the search thing seems to be a
bit flaky.
From: James Taylor on
Alan Secker wrote:

> I currently use knode as I am right now for news group operations but I
> sometimes want to search for something that may already have been asked. I
> seem to remember using something that would search for content but it may
> have been as far back as CompuServe. Does anyone use a reader that permits
> this?

I think a basic prerequisite for searching article bodies is that they
be stored locally. In other words you need a news reader that works
offline. KNode does not seem to support offline use. I think most others
do though.

There's also the possibility of running Leafnode on your computer to
download articles to a local spool and then telling KNode to use the
local Leafnode as the news server. That way you can still use KNode and
use a simple grep of the spool directory when needing to find something.

However, all this seems rather too much bother compared with a search on
Google Groups: <http://groups.google.co.uk/advanced_search>

--
James Taylor
From: Paul Rudin on
James Taylor <usenet(a)oakseed.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes:

> Alan Secker wrote:
>
>> I currently use knode as I am right now for news group operations
>> but I sometimes want to search for something that may already have
>> been asked. I seem to remember using something that would search for
>> content but it may have been as far back as CompuServe. Does anyone
>> use a reader that permits this?
>
> I think a basic prerequisite for searching article bodies is that they
> be stored locally.

No - clearly a newreader can request article bodies from a news server
and search them (and gnus at least includes this functionality) -
although lots of searches of this variety may not make you terribly
popular with the administrators of the news system.

From: Alan Secker on
James Taylor wrote:

> Alan Secker wrote:
>
>> I currently use knode as I am right now for news group operations but I
>> sometimes want to search for something that may already have been asked.
>> I seem to remember using something that would search for content but it
>> may have been as far back as CompuServe. Does anyone use a reader that
>> permits this?
>
> I think a basic prerequisite for searching article bodies is that they
> be stored locally. In other words you need a news reader that works
> offline. KNode does not seem to support offline use. I think most others
> do though.
>
> There's also the possibility of running Leafnode on your computer to
> download articles to a local spool and then telling KNode to use the
> local Leafnode as the news server. That way you can still use KNode and
> use a simple grep of the spool directory when needing to find something.
>
> However, all this seems rather too much bother compared with a search on
> Google Groups: <http://groups.google.co.uk/advanced_search>

I think you right. Google it will have to be. Thanks, Alan