From: John Dallman on
In article <871wkmzjgq.fsf(a)k9.prep.synonet.com>, prep(a)prep.synonet.com
(Paul Repacholi) wrote:

> Thanks for that titbit. Do you have any idea where the name `Dragon
> Lady' for the U-2 came from?

Sorry, no idea. These guys should know, though: http://www.u2dla.org/ If
you find out, stick in Wikipedia?

--
John Dallman, jgd(a)cix.co.uk, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.
From: Greg Lindahl on
In article <memo.20070219194844.2252B(a)jgd.compulink.co.uk>,
John Dallman <jgd(a)cix.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <871wkmzjgq.fsf(a)k9.prep.synonet.com>, prep(a)prep.synonet.com
>(Paul Repacholi) wrote:
>
>> Thanks for that titbit. Do you have any idea where the name `Dragon
>> Lady' for the U-2 came from?
>
>Sorry, no idea. These guys should know, though: http://www.u2dla.org/ If
>you find out, stick in Wikipedia?

It's going to look awfully out of place in the PDP-3 article. Or are
you better at changing the subject in Wikipedia than you are on
Usenet?

-- greg

From: Stephen Fuld on
Paul Repacholi wrote:
snip

> Thanks for that titbit. Do you have any idea where the name `Dragon Lady'
> for the U-2 came from?

I can't cite a source, but I remember from some TV show I watched on it,
the name came from its flying characteristics. Since it had very long
and very thin wings it apparently is a somewhat of a devil to fly. It
can be going great then suddenly turn on you can cause you harm - hence
the name. A lady that can turn into a dragon.

--
- Stephen Fuld
From: Paul Repacholi on
Stephen Fuld <S.Fuld(a)PleaseRemove.att.net> writes:

> Paul Repacholi wrote:
> snip

>> Thanks for that titbit. Do you have any idea where the name `Dragon
>> Lady' for the U-2 came from?

> I can't cite a source, but I remember from some TV show I watched on
> it, the name came from its flying characteristics. Since it had
> very long and very thin wings it apparently is a somewhat of a devil
> to fly. It can be going great then suddenly turn on you can cause
> you harm - hence the name. A lady that can turn into a dragon.

A net aquaintance has the ex OC of the Beale 9SRW next door, so I got
him to ask.

The reply was that the name came from a UK journo, he did not know why
he picked that, and it took off despite efforts of the USAF to squash
it.