From: Kevin Gallagher on
Can anyone advise me please.
I would like to know if it is advisable to remove old security update
un-install folders. I can't find any formal advice anywhere. I do not remove
these folders and some of them go back serveral years. If I do remove them
are there any implications? Do other people remove them. I am only thinking
about Servers. Are there any tools that manage this process.
From: Shenan Stanley on
Kevin Gallagher wrote:
> Can anyone advise me please.
> I would like to know if it is advisable to remove old security
> update un-install folders. I can't find any formal advice anywhere.
> I do not remove these folders and some of them go back serveral
> years. If I do remove them are there any implications? Do other
> people remove them. I am only thinking about Servers. Are there any
> tools that manage this process.

Yes you can.
Yes people do.
You can do it wisely (move them off to permanent storage) or you can do it
quick and dirty (delete them.)

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
( Yes - same for most pre-2007/2008 Windows OSes... )
( Alternative: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm )

The consequence - you cannot uninstall them.

If you are doing this to save space on the servers C drives - it's probably
time to consider upgradeing the server in question and making sure the C
partition is given more consideration this time. ;-)

Must be an 'older' server OS too...? (I consider 2003 pretty well outdated
at this point. *grin*)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP