From: inns on
I have the same problem with XP service pack 3 and have not been able to make
the problem go away.

From: Shenan Stanley on
inns wrote:
> I have the same problem with XP service pack 3 and have not been
> able to make the problem go away.

You have the same problem as someone who posted 2 years and 6 months plus a
few days ago (as of now)?

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/7932577a9f5890d5/

You sure? And did you try any of the 29 other responses made to the
original posting?
(See the link above - that is the entire conversation you chose to respond
to instead of just explaining your issue in detail...)

Please give details of *your* system - it is likely completely different
than the original posters machine specs - most of the software has been
updated several times since then.

Otherwise - assuming you mean you were having trouble (as the subject line
implicates) with this update:

Description of the security update for the .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3
for Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and
Windows 2000: July 10, 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928367

And given you have Windows XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 3 installed...
Here is what I suggest.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C:)...

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C:)...

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
and utilize the built-in WIndows Firewall only.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

At this point - if the machine was mine - I would follow these directions:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/ea20ba99-017e-4ae0-975b-1ef8b771dff8

In other words... Use the .NET Cleanup Tool (Method 2), reboot and install
the .NET Updates in this order:

- .Net Framework 3.5
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6)
- .Net Framework 1.1
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&)
- .Net Framework 1.1 SP1
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A8F5654F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&)

Should be good to go.

Needs repeating in full?
When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

=====================

Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
versions are currently installed:

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article...

When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0,
or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows
Installer error code "1603" (ignore the title, if need be)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool, reinstall all .NET Framework
versions (but only the ones you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the
download links on the page then run Windows Update manually to install
security updates for same.

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
Framework versions in the following order:

1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx. Please read
ALL of it as well as the related page
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
Framework Cleanup Tool.

Come back - this conversation is (as you should be able to tell) archived
indefinitely. You giving feedback might help those in the future that have
issues like you.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP