From: Mosssky on
There are two updates. One optional (Nvidia Geforce 9200 Graphics Drivers) ;
One important (Internet explorer 8 for vista). And both when i have tried to
install them have resulted in failure to install. I have tried to install
both separately and, together both fail. Scan for updates also fails and,
prompts me telling me it encountered an unknown error with error code:
80070490.
From: Ǝиçεl on
Hello Mosssky,

Copied яesponse from MowGreen

For Beginners and Intermediate Users -

1) You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044>

> This issue may occur if there is corruption in the Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest.

a) Run sfc /scannow from an Elevated Command Prompt
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212>

b) Download, save, and then run the System Update Readiness Tool
(CheckSUR) <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821>

c) > To resolve this issue, you must perform a repair installation of
Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.
> Performing a repair installation will restore the current Windows installation to the version of the
> installation DVD. This also requires the installation of all updates that are not included on the
> installation DVD.

For Advanced Users or The Fearless -

2) How to overcome error 0x80070490 when installing updates in Windows
Vista/Server 2008
<http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archive/2008/09/29/how-to-overcome-error-0x80070490-when-installing-updates-in-windows-vista-server-2008.aspx>

3) Update manually. Security updates are issued the second Tuesday of
the month.
Non-security Windows updates are issued the fourth Tuesday of the month.
A list of all update content by month:

Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update
Services changes in content for 2009
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199>

*** Be wary of installing NON-essential software *** that will then have
to be updated when a vulnerability is discovered in them.

Ex: Windows Desktop Search; Silverlight; etc.

MowGreen
-=-

I hope this is enough to get you on the right road for nºw.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Ǝиçεl
-=-

From: Shenan Stanley on
Mosssky wrote:
> There are two updates. One optional (Nvidia Geforce 9200 Graphics
> Drivers) ; One important (Internet explorer 8 for vista). And both
> when i have tried to install them have resulted in failure to
> install. I have tried to install both separately and, together both
> fail. Scan for updates also fails and, prompts me telling me it
> encountered an unknown error with error code: 80070490.

Hardware Device Drivers (like your NVidia Video Device driver) should
*always* be gotten from those who support said product. Microsoft did not
manufacture said product and they are not responsible in *any* way for it
working in your operating system. That is a decision made by and
continuously updated as time progresses by the original manufacturer of the
product - in this case - NVidia.

http://www.nvidia.com/
Viksit their drivers section and get the driver for your OS/video device
combination direct from them.

You did (accidentally, luckily, etc) mention "Vista" - so we generally know
you have Windows Vista - albeit we have no clue as to what edition
(http://www.microsoft.com/hk/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/default.mspx)
or if it is 32 or 64-bit (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218) you have.

If 32-bit, my suggestion:

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

Try getting updates (not hardware updates) again.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Michael on
"Mosssky" <Mosssky(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There are two updates. One optional (Nvidia Geforce 9200 Graphics Drivers)
> ;
> One important (Internet explorer 8 for vista). And both when i have tried
> install them have resulted in failure to install. I have tried to install
> both separately and, together both fail. Scan for updates also fails and,
> prompts me telling me it encountered an unknown error with error code:
> 80070490.

If you're running CrapAfee or Norton, temporarily disable them and try
again. Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT download your graphics driver or any
other hardware drivers from Microsoft, unless it's Microsoft hardware. Go
to Nvidia and get the most current driver. Vista 32 or 64bit? What SP?
Are you using One Care? Download and run:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/ free version and see what that turns up.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Ǝиçεl on

I knew there was a piece of that question that I forgot to get to...

Do *not* get hardware updates from the Windows/Microsoft updates web page
unless your hardware happens to be Microsoft manufacturered... Always get
the hardware drivers (when you need them) from the actual manufacturer of
said product. (Nvidia Geforce 9200 Graphics Drivers)

Right-click the update and choose the "Hide" option from the pop-up menu.
-=-