From: JimL on
I'm looking at SVGA cable for an extension monitor. They show two similar
cables, the only difference, including price, is that one has a ferrite
beads, apparently at each end, and one doesn't. Why would I want ferrite
beads or not want ferrite beads?

Thanks

--
For most of us the most danger is most politicians.

JimL

From: Pen on
JimL wrote:
> I'm looking at SVGA cable for an extension monitor. They show two similar
> cables, the only difference, including price, is that one has a ferrite
> beads, apparently at each end, and one doesn't. Why would I want ferrite
> beads or not want ferrite beads?
>
> Thanks

To prevent which would interference on your screen also to improve the
quality of the transmitted signal from the computer to your screen.
I would say get the one with the beads.
From: JimL on
"Pen" <nospam(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
> JimL wrote:
>> I'm looking at SVGA cable for an extension monitor. They show two
>> similar cables, the only difference, including price, is that one has a
>> ferrite beads, apparently at each end, and one doesn't. Why would I want
>> ferrite beads or not want ferrite beads?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> To prevent which would interference on your screen also to improve the
> quality of the transmitted signal from the computer to your screen.
> I would say get the one with the beads.

I'm very curious about my second question. Why would I want a cable without
the beads? That's another way of saying "why do they sell cables without
the beads? And for the same price?"

From: VanguardLH on
JimL wrote:

> "Pen" <nospam(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
>> JimL wrote:
>>> I'm looking at SVGA cable for an extension monitor. They show two
>>> similar cables, the only difference, including price, is that one has a
>>> ferrite beads, apparently at each end, and one doesn't. Why would I want
>>> ferrite beads or not want ferrite beads?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>> To prevent which would interference on your screen also to improve the
>> quality of the transmitted signal from the computer to your screen.
>> I would say get the one with the beads.
>
> I'm very curious about my second question. Why would I want a cable without
> the beads? That's another way of saying "why do they sell cables without
> the beads? And for the same price?"

Cheaper quality doesn't always equate to cheaper price.

Some cables have better shielding so using the beads to induce a reverse
signal to provide impedance to higher-frequency noise isn't needed
(because the noise didn't get induced into the signal wires inside the
better shielded cable in the first place). Better shielding tends to
make the cable stiffer. Ferrite beads allow use of a more flexible
cable because of less effective shielding. Ferrite beads are cheaper
than adding better shielding to the cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

With the 2 cables being the same price, I doubt the non-beaded cable has
adequate shielding. Heavy shielding costs a lot more than a couple
ferrite donuts on the ends. So get the beaded cable.
From: JimL on