From: dvsarwate on
On Aug 4, 1:10 am, eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org (Eric Jacobsen) demanded:

> Who came up with that acronym?   Never heard that one before.

I did, last night, which accounts for Eric not having it heard before.

All serious stuff requires an acronym (e.g. BCH, RS,
CRC, TCM, CC, not to mention FIR, IIR, FFT etc), else
people dismiss it as unimportant and don't pay attention.
For example, rake receivers were invented in the
early 1950s, but were ignored until someone thought
to re-name them as RAKE receivers, and now everyone
uses them.... For what it's worth, RAKE stands for
Recursive and Adaptive Kernel Estimation, heh, heh.

--Dilip Sarwate

From: steveu on
>On Aug 4, 1:10=A0am, eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org (Eric Jacobsen) demanded:
>
>> Who came up with that acronym? =A0 Never heard that one before.
>
>I did, last night, which accounts for Eric not having it heard before.
>
>All serious stuff requires an acronym (e.g. BCH, RS,
>CRC, TCM, CC, not to mention FIR, IIR, FFT etc), else
>people dismiss it as unimportant and don't pay attention.
>For example, rake receivers were invented in the
>early 1950s, but were ignored until someone thought
>to re-name them as RAKE receivers, and now everyone
>uses them.... For what it's worth, RAKE stands for
>Recursive and Adaptive Kernel Estimation, heh, heh.
>
>--Dilip Sarwate

RAKE receiver and rake receiver are different things.

A RAKE receiver is a piece of electronics.

A rake receiver is a keen gardener at Christmas.

Steve

From: dvsarwate on
On Aug 4, 9:48 pm, "steveu" <steveu(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.coppice.org> wrote:

> RAKE receiver and rake receiver are different things.
>
> A RAKE receiver is a piece of electronics.
>
> A rake receiver is a keen gardener at Christmas.

According to the great oracle Google, the Gospel
according to St Wikipedia says it's a rake receiver
while the Gospel according to St MATLAB calls it
a RAKE receiver. In this instance, I think God wants
us to not rely on literal interpretations of the
written Word but to think for ourselves. My belief is
that when implemented in the time domain, it is a
rake receiver, while when implemented in the frequency
domain or MATLAB, it is a RAKE receiver. After all,
everyone knows the Fourier transform of x(t) is X(f),
and not the other way around, right? So, the time
domain implementation is a rake receiver, the
frequency domain implementation is a RAKE receiver
and hybrid implementations are rAkE receivers, or
more commonly, Rake receivers.

Steveu's grateful gardeners at Christmas time are on
their own in this theory...

--Dilip Sarwate
President, AMBIT Corporation

AMBIT = Acronym May Be Ignored Totally

From: Eric Jacobsen on
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 05:52:55 -0700 (PDT), dvsarwate
<dvsarwate(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Aug 4, 9:48=A0pm, "steveu" <steveu(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.coppice.org> wrote:
>

>> RAKE receiver and rake receiver are different things.
>>
>> A RAKE receiver is a piece of electronics.
>>
>> A rake receiver is a keen gardener at Christmas.
>

>According to the great oracle Google, the Gospel
>according to St Wikipedia says it's a rake receiver
>while the Gospel according to St MATLAB calls it
>a RAKE receiver. In this instance, I think God wants
>us to not rely on literal interpretations of the
>written Word but to think for ourselves. My belief is
>that when implemented in the time domain, it is a
>rake receiver, while when implemented in the frequency
>domain or MATLAB, it is a RAKE receiver. After all,
>everyone knows the Fourier transform of x(t) is X(f),
>and not the other way around, right? So, the time
>domain implementation is a rake receiver, the
>frequency domain implementation is a RAKE receiver
>and hybrid implementations are rAkE receivers, or
>more commonly, Rake receivers.
>
>Steveu's grateful gardeners at Christmas time are on
>their own in this theory...
>
>--Dilip Sarwate
>President, AMBIT Corporation
>

>AMBIT =3D Acronym May Be Ignored Totally

As usual, Dilip's logic is flawless. ;)

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications