From: Gary Peek on
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> ... and you don't answer the question that I
> asked and that you quoted above.

And you didn't answer my question, so leave Dr. Stockton alone.

Goodness sakes, Jukka, enough people have given their opinion that
using monospaced font for computer code is helpful, that you might
just consider that it might be, (regardless of how eloquently we can
or cannot explain that it is.)

From: Mike Copeland on
> You jump into odd conclusions, and you don't answer the question that I
> asked and that you quoted above.
>
> > Fortran IV is column-sensitive.
>
> Everyone who has any idea of FORTRAN IV (that's the spelling we used when we
> used the language) knows that,

Perhaps. The fact is, this language's name is derived from its full
name, Formula Translator. Therefore, I've always felt it should be
written as "ForTran", not FORTRAN. The latter implies it's an acronym
(e.g. COBOL, JOVIAL, etc.) - which it's not. I rarely saw Pascal
written as "PASCAL". although some uninformed souls may have mistaken
the word for an acronym.
This is such a small point, I agree, but one which has particularly
annoyed me throughout my (50 year) career as a professional programmer.
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets message <rFCcn.1138$pL1.71
0(a)uutiset.elisa.fi>, Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:10:44, Jukka K. Korpela
<jkorpela(a)cs.tut.fi> posted:

>Monospace font reduces legibility considerably. Monospace fonts, in
>addition to being ugly, tend to be less legible than about any other
>font, not counting fantasy fonts. So when presenting program code on a
>web page, should we really sacrifice legibility just to have argument
>lists aligned in a particular way.

In context, codswallop.

Monospace reduces legibility in plain natural-language text[1], where
experienced readers recognise many words rapidly with help from their
outline and the context of the sentence.

But that does not apply to typical computer languages, in which only a
few normal "words" are used and it is important to be able to see the
exact spelling of identifiers.

[1] Things may be different in Finnish, where the idea seems to be to
use /at least/ as many instances of the letter 'k' as is reasonably
possible.

From: Jukka K. Korpela on
Gary Peek wrote:

> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> ... and you don't answer the question that I
>> asked and that you quoted above.
>
> And you didn't answer my question, so leave Dr. Stockton alone.

Did I quote the question I didn't answer? There is no obligation on Usenet
to answer someone's question, but if you quote something, you indicate that
it is the part you are going to comment on.

> Goodness sakes, Jukka, enough people have given their opinion that
> using monospaced font for computer code is helpful, that you might
> just consider that it might be, (regardless of how eloquently we can
> or cannot explain that it is.)

I'm not interested on the number of people having some opinion, or their
eloquence, when it is apparent that the opinion is simply a fixed idea, a
belief once adopted and never considered critically - though when people
feel forced to defend such beliefs, they tend to soup up some arguments in
favor of them, quite independently of whether they were real reasons to
anything.

All I'm really saying is that you should _look_ at the effects of using
different fonts for presentation of computer code, instead of assuming that
it "must" be rendered in some monospace font. Try Cambria. Try Georgia. Try
almost anything, and you'll see that you won't often find anything worse
than Courier.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-02-12, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> All I'm really saying is that you should _look_ at the effects of using
> different fonts for presentation of computer code, instead of assuming that
> it "must" be rendered in some monospace font. Try Cambria. Try Georgia. Try
> almost anything, and you'll see that you won't often find anything worse
> than Courier.

So why use it? There are many better-looking monospace fonts than
Courier, and yes, they are much preferable for most coding than any

Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: