From: Michael on
I am asking this in a photo group rather than a printer group because
the opinions I am interested in are those of photographers. Some years
ago I had a Canon 4x6 dye-sub printer BEFORE they added the Selphy name
to those. I am looking at the Selphy ES series and can find the ES40
new and the ES30 and ES40 on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with
these? The ES series is more expensive, but has the available black and
white cartridge that the other series does not. Any reports of
experience with these printers would be welcome.
--
Michael

From: Rich on
On Aug 10, 11:41 pm, Michael <adunc79...(a)mypacks.net> wrote:
> I am asking this in a photo group rather than a printer group because
> the opinions I am interested in are those of photographers. Some years
> ago I had a Canon 4x6 dye-sub printer BEFORE they added the Selphy name
> to those. I am looking at the Selphy ES series and can find the ES40
> new and the ES30 and ES40 on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with
> these? The ES series is more expensive, but has the available black and
> white cartridge that the other series does not. Any reports of
> experience with these printers would be welcome.
> --
> Michael

The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands :(kind of a
sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.
From: Better Info on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Aug 10, 11:41�pm, Michael <adunc79...(a)mypacks.net> wrote:
>> I am asking this in a photo group rather than a printer group because
>> the opinions I am interested in are those of photographers. Some years
>> ago I had a Canon 4x6 dye-sub printer BEFORE they added the Selphy name
>> to those. I am looking at the Selphy ES series and can find the ES40
>> new and the ES30 and ES40 on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with
>> these? The ES series is more expensive, but has the available black and
>> white cartridge that the other series does not. Any reports of
>> experience with these printers would be welcome.
>> --
>> Michael �
>
>The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands :(kind of a
>sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
compromise.

From: Michael on
The Selphy (and its old vanilla-labeled Canon dye sub predecessor) does
a three pass print and then a fourth pass with a clear coat that is a
UV protective coat. I didn't have any banding issues with the old Canon
printer.
--
Michael