From: =?UTF-8?Q?Andr=C3=A9s_Gattinoni?= on
Hi guys, I have the following question:

Is it possible to restrict some virtual accounts from sending emails
through my Postfix?

I have Postfix 2.3.3 running on a box with several virtual accounts. I
want to prevent some of them from sending emails (I just want them to
be able to receive).
How could I do this?

I've been reading about smtpd_client_restrictions but I don't know if
I can do a login-based restriction.

BTW, I'm using Dovecot's SASL authentication.

Thanks!

Andrés

From: Jeroen Geilman on
On 07/24/2010 12:44 AM, Andrés Gattinoni wrote:
> Hi guys, I have the following question:
>
> Is it possible to restrict some virtual accounts from sending emails
> through my Postfix?

What does "through" mean ?
If you mean FROM an address that is in your virtual_*_maps, then no, not
trivially.

> I have Postfix 2.3.3 running on a box with several virtual accounts. I

That's very old.
> want to prevent some of them from sending emails (I just want them to
> be able to receive).
> How could I do this?

With a check_sender_access restriction in smtpd_recipient_restrictions.
> I've been reading about smtpd_client_restrictions but I don't know if
> I can do a login-based restriction.

What does login have to do with it ?
> BTW, I'm using Dovecot's SASL authentication.

That's not directly related to what you asked.

From: =?UTF-8?Q?Andr=C3=A9s_Gattinoni?= on
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Jeroen Geilman <jeroen(a)adaptr.nl> wrote:
> On 07/24/2010 12:44 AM, Andrés Gattinoni wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys, I have the following question:
>>
>> Is it possible to restrict some virtual accounts from sending emails
>> through my Postfix?
>>

> What does "through" mean ?
> If you mean FROM an address that is in your virtual_*_maps, then no, not
> trivially.

I mean clients connecting to my Postfix to send emails to external MTAs.
Currently only authenticated users relay emails through my MTA. What I
want to do is that only SOME of them can do so.

>> I have Postfix 2.3.3 running on a box with several virtual accounts. I
>>

> That's very old.

I'll see if I can upgrade

>> want to prevent some of them from sending emails (I just want them to
>> be able to receive).
>> How could I do this?
>>

> With a check_sender_access restriction in smtpd_recipient_restrictions.

Ok. Should it be something like this in /etc/postfix/access

someuser(a)domain.com REJECT

And then:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/access

Is that right?

>> I've been reading about smtpd_client_restrictions but I don't know if
>> I can do a login-based restriction.
>>

> What does login have to do with it ?
>>
>> BTW, I'm using Dovecot's SASL authentication.
>>

> That's not directly related to what you asked.

Ok, I just posted the info in case something might be done from
Dovecot's side to handle users' permissions or something.

From: Jeroen Geilman on
On 07/24/2010 01:42 AM, Andrés Gattinoni wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Jeroen Geilman<jeroen(a)adaptr.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 07/24/2010 12:44 AM, Andrés Gattinoni wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys, I have the following question:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to restrict some virtual accounts from sending emails
>>> through my Postfix?
>>>

>> What does "through" mean ?
>> If you mean FROM an address that is in your virtual_*_maps, then no, not
>> trivially.
>>
> I mean clients connecting to my Postfix to send emails to external MTAs.
> Currently only authenticated users relay emails through my MTA. What I
> want to do is that only SOME of them can do so.
>

>>> I have Postfix 2.3.3 running on a box with several virtual accounts. I
>>>

>> That's very old.
>>
> I'll see if I can upgrade
>

>>> want to prevent some of them from sending emails (I just want them to
>>> be able to receive).
>>> How could I do this?
>>>

>> With a check_sender_access restriction in smtpd_recipient_restrictions.
>>
> Ok. Should it be something like this in /etc/postfix/access
>
> someuser(a)domain.com REJECT
>
> And then:
>
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/access
>
> Is that right?

Yes.

>>> I've been reading about smtpd_client_restrictions but I don't know if
>>> I can do a login-based restriction.
>>>

>> What does login have to do with it ?
>>
>>> BTW, I'm using Dovecot's SASL authentication.
>>>

>> That's not directly related to what you asked.
>>
> Ok, I just posted the info in case something might be done from
> Dovecot's side to handle users' permissions or something.

Dovecot plays no part in mail transportation.
It authenticates, nothing more.

Please reply only to the list, not to me personally - unless you
intended it for me personally, in which case, do NOT send it to the list.
One or the other.

J.

From: =?UTF-8?Q?Andr=C3=A9s_Gattinoni?= on
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Jeroen Geilman <jeroen(a)adaptr.nl> wrote:
>>> With a check_sender_access restriction in smtpd_recipient_restrictions.
>>>

>> Ok. Should it be something like this in /etc/postfix/access
>>
>> someuser(a)domain.com REJECT
>>
>> And then:
>>
>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_sender_access
>> hash:/etc/postfix/access
>>
>> Is that right?
>>

> Yes.

Ok, thanks

> Dovecot plays no part in mail transportation.
> It authenticates, nothing more.

I see, thanks.

> Please reply only to the list, not to me personally - unless you intended it
> for me personally, in which case, do NOT send it to the list.
> One or the other.

Sorry.