From: jd6strings on
Hello all:

I've been using Sendmail as our transport for a number of years. We've
always allowed access via IP (i.e. /etc/mail/access) but now we have a
number of users who are requesting that SMTP authentication be enabled
within sendmail to allow them to utilize the server from outside the
network.

My question is: If a user is not using authentication from within
their mail client (i.e. Outlook) BUT is WITHIN the network supported
by the access file, will Sendmail disregard the authentication and
allow relaying?

In other words I want the access file to take precedence over
authentication if a user is within the network.

Thanks!!!

From: Damir Laurenzi on
On 05/15/2010 06:42 AM, jd6strings wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I've been using Sendmail as our transport for a number of years. We've
> always allowed access via IP (i.e. /etc/mail/access) but now we have a
> number of users who are requesting that SMTP authentication be enabled
> within sendmail to allow them to utilize the server from outside the
> network.
>
> My question is: If a user is not using authentication from within
> their mail client (i.e. Outlook) BUT is WITHIN the network supported
> by the access file, will Sendmail disregard the authentication and
> allow relaying?

yes

> In other words I want the access file to take precedence over
> authentication if a user is within the network.
>
> Thanks!!!

bye