From: Diggy on
On Jan 29, 8:30 am, h...(a)EINTR.net (Hugo Villeneuve) wrote:
> Diggy <dyiou...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > This kind of answer your question? what are the perms on /etc/mail ?
> > > should be at worse 0755
>
> > The first thing I did was to check the perms of /etc/mail, and indeed
> > they were 0755. All of the files in that directory were also correct.
>
> > As I said above, the tweaks I made, based on another post, did work.
> > But, I'd still like to know why the problem occurred, and if there are
> > any issues associated with the tweaks.
> > Why would these be questions for CentOS? It's sendmail that's
> > complaining. Any help/insights would be much appreciated.
>
> > Diggy
>
> # ls -ld / /etc /etc/mail
>
> I beleive you have to check every component of the path when you get
> such an error.

Bingo! Probably due to my own error somewhere along the line (this is
a new vm, but I should have known better), / was set to 777 rather
than 755. Made the perms change, put sendmail.cf and submit.cf back
to previous settings (pre-tweak), and sendmail started w/o problem.
Thanks, Hugo.
From: Diggy on
On Jan 29, 8:33 am, Diggy <dyiou...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 8:07 am, Res <r...(a)ausics.net> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Diggy wrote:
> > > As I said above, the tweaks I made, based on another post, did work.
> > > But, I'd still like to know why the problem occurred, and if there are
> > > any issues associated with the tweaks.
> > > Why would these be questions for CentOS? It's sendmail that's
> > > complaining. Any help/insights would be much appreciated.
>
> > Because CentOS aka RedHat bastardise most things that go into their
> > distributions, if you used the Sendmail Inc source file compiled and
> > installed you have it as it's meant, not a hacked version.
> > The fact CentOS's yum does automatic updates, kind of points towards it
> > not being Sendmail that changed if you did not make any changes, but
> > something else on the OS (unless again CentOS updated Sendmail)
>
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Res
>
> > mysql> update auth set Framed-IP-Address='127.0.0.127' where user= 'troll';
>
> OK, point well taken. I just thought somebody on this list might have
> encountered the same issue.

I ran "ls -ld / /etc /etc/mail" and, lo and behold, / was set to 777
(this is a brand new vm, and I must have changed the perms, but should
have known better)! I set the perms to 755, edited sendmail.cf and
submit.cf back to previous (pre-tweak) settings, and restarted
sendmail w/o problem. Thanks to Hugo and everyone else who
responded. I solved my problem and extended my knowledge, both
beautiful things.
From: Robert Nichols on
In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.0801291004410.21302(a)ebfjryy.nhfvpf.arg>,
Res <comp-mail-sendmail(a)ausics.net> wrote:
:On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Diggy wrote:
:
:>
:> Hi, folks.
:>
:> This morning, sendmail (8.14.2-1.1 running on CentOS 4.6) barfed.
:> When i tried to start the server, it threw the following error:
:>
:> 451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 91: fileclass: cannot open '/etc/
:> mail/local-host-names': World writable directory
:
:
:This kind of answer your question? what are the perms on /etc/mail ?
:should be at worse 0755

Check the permissions on / and /etc too. If, as root, you are careless
enough to extract a tar (or similar) archive into the root directory and
that archive happens to contain an entry for "." with loose permissions,
then you can leave your root directory world writable.

From: Tilman Schmidt on
Andrzej Adam Filip schrieb:
> Use the command below to trace cause of problems in submit.cf
> [ it is most likely the same as in sendmail.cf ]:
> /usr/sbin/sendmail -Ac -d44.4 -bv root

How do you find those magic -d arguments? Do you have to dig through
the Sendmail source or is there a shortcut?

Thanks,
Tilman

--
Please excuse my bad English/German/French/Greek/Cantonese/Klingon/...
From: Peter Peters on
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:50:31 +0100, Tilman Schmidt
<ts-usenet0801(a)pxnet.com> wrote:

>Andrzej Adam Filip schrieb:
>> Use the command below to trace cause of problems in submit.cf
>> [ it is most likely the same as in sendmail.cf ]:
>> /usr/sbin/sendmail -Ac -d44.4 -bv root
>
>How do you find those magic -d arguments? Do you have to dig through
>the Sendmail source or is there a shortcut?

When you search for debug-flags in Sendmail you often get the following
advice:

"For a complete list of the available debug flags you will have to look
at the code (they are too dynamic to keep this documentation up to
date)."

But searching sendmail forums can give you a large number of them
anyway.

--
Peter Peters