From: Paolo on
Hi all,
I have a strange situation, I manage on the same server 2 domain with
same configuration, the only difference is that one contains an hyphen
"-" and the other no. The one without works correctly the other do not
give any error but ralay the mail to the mailrelayer the again relay the
mail back, at the end I receive an error message of "too many hop ..."

The mailserver and relayserver are:
- debian 4.0 (etch) with sendmail 8.13.8-3

Thank you for any suggestion.
Paolo
From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
Paolo <paolo.actis(a)tecnocim.it> wrote:
> I have a strange situation, I manage on the same server 2 domain with
> same configuration, the only difference is that one contains an hyphen
> "-" and the other no. The one without works correctly the other do not
> give any error but ralay the mail to the mailrelayer the again relay
> the
> mail back, at the end I receive an error message of "too many hop ..."
>
> The mailserver and relayserver are:
> - debian 4.0 (etch) with sendmail 8.13.8-3
>
> Thank you for any suggestion.
> Paolo

Post the bounce message.

It should contain received: headers of the bounced message => it should
allow you to locate mail servers creating "(endless) mail relaying loop".

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip(a)gmail.com
http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/ http://anfi.homeunix.org/
From: Paolo on
Andrzej Adam Filip ha scritto:
> Paolo <paolo.actis(a)tecnocim.it> wrote:
>> I have a strange situation, I manage on the same server 2 domain with
>> same configuration, the only difference is that one contains an hyphen
>> "-" and the other no. The one without works correctly the other do not
>> give any error but ralay the mail to the mailrelayer the again relay
>> the
>> mail back, at the end I receive an error message of "too many hop ..."
>>
>> The mailserver and relayserver are:
>> - debian 4.0 (etch) with sendmail 8.13.8-3
>>
>> Thank you for any suggestion.
>> Paolo
>
> Post the bounce message.
>
> It should contain received: headers of the bounced message => it should
> allow you to locate mail servers creating "(endless) mail relaying loop".

First of all, thank you for the answer,

It is clear to me which server create the loop:
I have a mailrelayer (netsrv) in the DMZ that relay all the mail to the
private network server (mailhub), but mailhub do not recognize the mail
as internal, even if in the virtusertable all user are correctly
configured, and relay again the mail to netsrv, that relay to mailhub
and so on ...

by the way is this the bounce message?

Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@????.it> to pactis@????.com

The original message was received at Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:50:04 +0200
from mailhub.????.private [192.168.11.1]

<pactis@????-???.com>
(reason: 554 5.4.6 Too many hops)

554 5.4.6 Too many hops 26 (25 max): from <pactis@????.com> via
mailhub.????.private, to <pactis@????-???.com>
From: ska on
Paolo wrote:
> I have a strange situation, I manage on the same server 2 domain with
> same configuration, the only difference is that one contains an hyphen
> "-" and the other no. The one without works correctly the other do not
> give any error but ralay the mail to the mailrelayer the again relay the
> mail back, at the end I receive an error message of "too many hop ..."

When you run:

sendmail -bt
/parse user(a)domain-with-hyphen.tld
/parse user(a)domainWithOutHyphen.tld

do they resolve to different mailers? Which ones?

-ska
From: Hokan on
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 00:39:18 -0700 (PDT), ska <skg(a)mail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:
> Paolo wrote:
>> I have a strange situation, I manage on the same server 2 domain with
>> same configuration, the only difference is that one contains an hyphen
>> "-" and the other no. The one without works correctly the other do not
>> give any error but ralay the mail to the mailrelayer the again relay the
>> mail back, at the end I receive an error message of "too many hop ..."
>
> When you run:
>
> sendmail -bt
> /parse user(a)domain-with-hyphen.tld
> /parse user(a)domainWithOutHyphen.tld
>
> do they resolve to different mailers? Which ones?
>
> -ska

Your DNS is different for the two domains.