From: joe on
Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the
recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be
only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks.
From: Grant Taylor on
joe wrote:
> Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the
> recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be
> only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks.

Search for "protected recipients".

Grant. . . .
From: joe on
Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html

This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this
setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file?
From: Grant Taylor on
On 04/29/10 07:32, joe wrote:
> Thanks Grant.

You are welcome.

> That solve half my problem.

:-|

> This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this
> setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file?

If I understand you correctly (which it is entirely possible that I'm
mis-understanding you) you are wanting to have a way to protect a subset
of your local aliases. Correct?

(Presuming yes.)

I don't think there is a way for Sendmail to break the alias list in to
multiple pieces. Even if you could, what would that gain you? Sendmail
will still have to check each recipient if it is protected or not.

Grant. . . .
From: ska on
joe wrote:
> Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found
>
> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html
>
> This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this
> setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file?

Hmm, you want to check sender-recipient pairs?

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/check.html#check_compat
The Compat: tag is not usuable in this situation, though, see
README.cf:
"
compat_check Enable ruleset check_compat to look up pairs of addresses
with the Compat: tag -- Compat:sender<@>recipient -- in the
access map. Valid values for the RHS include
DISCARD silently discard recipient
TEMP: return a temporary error
ERROR: return a permanent error
In the last two cases, a 4xy/5xy SMTP reply code should
follow the colon.
"

I dimmly remember some suggestion to:

first) store the sender into a macro
second) use check_rcpt in combination with that,

So one has the advantage of the early check_rcpt with the advantage of
the sender-recipient-pair check. But I couldn't found it right now.

-ska