From: colonelpanik on
Hi sendmail gurus,
I have been scouring the net for three days and have found many people
with this issue but I cannot find a definitive answer

I have a centos5 VPS for a website but use another hosting provider
(Simplicato) for my mail.
The problem I am having is with sendmail on my VPS. It sends mail
fine to other domains but to mydomain.com it will not recognize the mx
record for my domain and mail is not delivered. It appears to want to
send it to the localhost. No errors or anything in the maillog.

I setup my MX record as follows (I use my registrars DNS servers and
configure everything there)
Hostname priority Mail Server
mydomain.com high mail.mydomain.com

CNAME as follows
mail.mydomain.com points to host50a.simplicato.com.

So if I send email to me(a)mydomain.com it does not get delivered. No
errors or anything.
If I send to another address me(a)gmail.com then it goes through.

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

From: Claus Aßmann on
colonelpanik wrote:

> The problem I am having is with sendmail on my VPS. It sends mail
> fine to other domains but to mydomain.com it will not recognize the mx
> record for my domain and mail is not delivered. It appears to want to
> send it to the localhost. No errors or anything in the maillog.

There must be something in the logfile that says what happened
to the mail. If there isn't then you either turned off logging
or your syslog.conf is broken. This is the first thing you
have to resolve.

> mydomain.com high mail.mydomain.com

Hmm:
mydomain.com. IN MX 0 mx.mailix.net.

> CNAME as follows
> mail.mydomain.com points to host50a.simplicato.com.

Please read the fine DNS docs about MX records and CNAME.
Your setup is at least a Bad Idea and in the worst case
invalid.

Hmm...
host50a.simplicato.com. 300 IN CNAME mail.mailforbusiness.com.

mailforbusiness.com. 86400 IN MX 20 mx1.mailforbusiness.com.
mailforbusiness.com. 86400 IN MX 10 mx2.mailforbusiness.com.

From: colonelpanik on
On Aug 13, 4:09 pm, Claus Aßmann <ca+sendmail(-no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> colonelpanik  wrote:
> > The problem I am having is with sendmail on my VPS.  It sends mail
> > fine to other domains but to mydomain.com it will not recognize the mx
> > record for my domain and mail is not delivered.  It appears to want to
> > send it to the localhost.  No errors or anything in the maillog.
>
> There must be something in the logfile that says what happened
> to the mail. If there isn't then you either turned off logging
> or your syslog.conf is broken. This is the first thing you
> have to resolve.
>
> > mydomain.com    high           mail.mydomain.com
>
> Hmm:
> mydomain.com.           IN      MX      0 mx.mailix..net.
>
> > CNAME as follows
> > mail.mydomain.com points to  host50a.simplicato.com.
>
> Please read the fine DNS docs about MX records and CNAME.
> Your setup is at least a Bad Idea and in the worst case
> invalid.
>
> Hmm...
> host50a.simplicato.com. 300     IN      CNAME   mail.mailforbusiness.com.
>
> mailforbusiness.com.    86400   IN      MX      20 mx1.mailforbusiness.com.
> mailforbusiness.com.    86400   IN      MX      10 mx2.mailforbusiness.com.

Thanks I will do that.