From: Phil on
I have done a bit more testing, and I think the problem may be to do with
versioning. I get the same problem if I serialise to a file, and then
rebuild and re-deploy the application. The new version does not seem to want
to deserialise the data produced with the old version.
I have tried setting
AssemblyFormat = Formatters.FormatterAssemblyStyle.Simple
before the Serialze and Deserialize
calls, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

From: Adam Benson on
Something may be blowing up behind the scenes as its deserializing which is
why your object has nothing in it. Try using DbgView to see if there are any
exceptions being thrown as your object is deserializing.

AB

From: Phil on

"Adam Benson" <Adam.Benson(a)community.nospam> wrote in message
> Something may be blowing up behind the scenes as its deserializing which
> is why your object has nothing in it. Try using DbgView to see if there
> are any exceptions being thrown as your object is deserializing.

Thanks Adam,

I've left this for a while, as I didn't seem to be getting anywhere, but I
will need to come back to it soon.
I haven't used DbgView, so I'll take a look at that, and see if it helps to
shed any light on the problem. Is this something included with VS2008, or is
it something extra I need to download?
I did do some further tests last week, and I think my original assumption
was correct, that the problem is an incompatibuility between the release and
debug versions, not anything to do with the version number of the
assemblies. It is a very simple class, just a few private member variables
(mostly arrays of double or string) with public properties to get/set the
values.
I did have an additional complication that my assemblies were being loaded
from a database in the released version rather than directly from a DLL, but
I have moved these classes into a separate new DLL, and I still have the
problem.

Thanks
Phil.