From: RayLopez99 on
On May 13, 1:58 pm, Harlan Messinger
<hmessinger.removet...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> RayLopez99 wrote:
> > Seriously, who codes in Linux and what platforms, IDEs, etc do they
> > use?  What language?

> > And what language would you use in Linux?  C? C++?  Why?  And for
> > server side, PHP?  Why?  Why would you do that?  I am at a loss.
>
> I bet you're also at a loss as to why manufactures make and stores sell
> foods that you don't like or parts for cars that you don't drive or
> greeting cards and paraphernalia for holidays that you don't observe, or
> why television stations broadcast programs that you don't watch.
> Because, obviously, the whole world revolves around you and what you're
> familiar with, and if *you* don't understand why anyone uses anything
> you don't use or does anything differently from the way you do it, well,
> then, you're at a TOTAL loss because you just can't comprehend it.

Yes, correct. I cannot for the life of me figure out Oprah Winfrey
and daytime soaps either.

So please educate me--why on earth would you code in Linux using Linux
tools?

RL

PS--To answer MVP Mark Rae upstream of this post, my book says you can
port Silverlight to Linux using "Moonlight"...that is, write the
Silverlight code in Visual Studio, then presumably get the end user to
plug-in the "Moonlight" plugin into their browser (Konqueror is
supported says my book).

At least in theory.
From: RayLopez99 on
On May 13, 9:31 pm, Arne Vajhøj <a...(a)vajhoej.dk> wrote:

> No. You are just ignorant.
>
> Arne

Tx Arne for your opinion.

Now, SOAP or REST? That is the question I pose to you. i'm getting
into WCF and SOAP now. Seems like a lot of XML stuff, which is OK
with me.

RL
From: RayLopez99 on
On May 14, 9:03 am, RayLopez99 <raylope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, SOAP or REST?  That is the question I pose to you.  i'm getting
> into WCF and SOAP now.  Seems like a lot of XML stuff, which is OK
> with me.

Here is what I found from the link Rex Ballard posted (sounds
reasonable to me). So SOAP is superior.

RL

To summarize their strengths and weaknesses:
*** SOAP ***
Pros:
• Langauge, platform, and transport agnostic
• Designed to handle distributed computing environments
• Is the prevailing standard for web services, and hence has better
support from other standards (WSDL, WS-*) and tooling from vendors
• Built-in error handling (faults)
• Extensibility
Cons:
• Conceptually more difficult, more "heavy-weight" than REST
• More verbose
• Harder to develop, requires tools
*** REST ***
Pros:
• Language and platform agnostic
• Much simpler to develop than SOAP
• Small learning curve, less reliance on tools
• Concise, no need for additional messaging layer
• Closer in design and philosophy to the Web
Cons:
• Assumes a point-to-point communication model--not usable for
distributed computing environment where message may go through one or
more intermediaries
• Lack of standards support for security, policy, reliable messaging,
etc., so services that have more sophisticated requirements are harder
to develop ("roll your own")
• Tied to the HTTP transport model

From: RayLopez99 on
On May 14, 12:30 pm, Jackie <Jac...(a)an.on> wrote:

> I have nothing more to say to Hadron regarding this, nor do I intend to
> further attempt to prove myself.

You don't code you terd. Man up about it and get off this thread
idiot.

RL
From: Jackie on
On 5/14/2010 21:40, RayLopez99 wrote:
> On May 14, 12:30 pm, Jackie<Jac...(a)an.on> wrote:
>
>> I have nothing more to say to Hadron regarding this, nor do I intend to
>> further attempt to prove myself.
>
> You don't code you terd. Man up about it and get off this thread
> idiot.
>
> RL

Are you sure wrote to the right person? I think you're misunderstanding
something here, but well, it's okay.