From: Jim Hubbard on
I just re-installed SBS 2003 when the drives in the RAID array failed. I
rebuilt it without a RAID.

I am experiencing excrutiatingly slow copying from external USB drives. All
Windows freeze while copying a large file (2GB+) from the external drive to
the C drive.

I have tried more than one external drive to eliminate drive problems as a
cause.

I have scanned the c: drive (chkdsk /R /X c:) for errors and found none.

Copying from internal drive to internal drive does not cause the freezing or
very slow copy speeds.

This is a Dell Poweredge sc420 with dual Hitachi 500 GB drives and 1 GB RAM.

I have searched the web over but have yet to find a solution.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
From: Phillip Windell on
"Jim Hubbard" <JimHubbard(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just re-installed SBS 2003 when the drives in the RAID array failed. I
> rebuilt it without a RAID.

Rebuilt without RAID,...that was a big mistake. RAID is the only thing that
is going to save your rearend in the event of a drive failure, that most
certaily *will* happen eventually,..it is inevitable. Considering that SBS
is a horrible mess when it comes to Disaster Recovery because of its design,
that's make the RAID even more important.

> I am experiencing excrutiatingly slow copying from external USB drives.
> All
> Windows freeze while copying a large file (2GB+) from the external drive
> the C drive.

USB drives are slow,...always have been. If the USB port you plug into is
not a USB version 2.0 then it will be even worse.

--
Phillip Windell

From: Jim Hubbard on

"Phillip Windell" wrote:

> "Jim Hubbard" <JimHubbard(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just re-installed SBS 2003 when the drives in the RAID array failed. I
> > rebuilt it without a RAID.
>
> Rebuilt without RAID,...that was a big mistake. RAID is the only thing that
> is going to save your rearend in the event of a drive failure, that most
> certaily *will* happen eventually,..it is inevitable. Considering that SBS
> is a horrible mess when it comes to Disaster Recovery because of its design,
> that's make the RAID even more important.
>
> > I am experiencing excrutiatingly slow copying from external USB drives.
> > All
> > Windows freeze while copying a large file (2GB+) from the external drive
> > the C drive.
>
> USB drives are slow,...always have been. If the USB port you plug into is
> not a USB version 2.0 then it will be even worse.

Even if they were pre-2.0 USB ports, that would not explain everything else
onscreen freezing while you copy data from an external drive.

From: Phillip Windell on
I recently ran into a couple situations where the "onboard" USB ports were
not version 2.0 but they had an additonal USB Card in the machine which was
Version 2.0,...so it really mattered which USB port I plugged into
concerning speed.

--
Phillip Windell

From: FoxfireGoss on
We just replaced our USB backup devices with eSATA drives. This in a Dell PE
2800, dual, dual cord Xeon, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, 16GB RAM, 8 300GB
Ultra SCSI drives in a RAID 5. Our backup times on the 3 USB devices was
~27.5 hours (backing up 2.5TB on 6 servers) On 2 eSATA drives it is now
~11.5 hours!

BUT, I found out something else. Having 3 USB drives connected to this
server - WITHOUT ANYTHING being read or written to them, slowed this system
down. And with the backup processes running, quite slugish. It is now more
responsive with the eSATA devices and the backup RUNNING than it was with the
3 USB drives connected and NO backup jobs running.

There is something not so nice that USB drives do to a box!