From: Anthony Jones on
"Rick Barber" <rick(a)orcsweb.com> wrote in message
> When you use regsvr32 to register a component and then need to upgrade it
or
> do something with it in the future, you have to do an iisreset to release
> it, which disrupts all website traffic. If you can put it in a COM+
> package, then you can stop the package, delete the dll, and reregister the
> new one which only disrupts the traffic using that component and not all
> traffic. Over 95% of the dlls that I've tried will work in com+.

This has the down side that the component ends up in its own process and
each call into the component is cross-process. It makes sense when the
component is peripheral to the site operation. I'm not sure I would be
comfortable upgrading a component whilst the are still existing sessions in
the site. I guess it would be safe if you know exactly how its used.

If the component is core to the site then having the site available while
upgrading it isn't desirable. In that case one option would be to use high
isolation (or a separate application pool IIS 6) instead of a separate COM+
application. The site can be unloaded and/or stopped without affecting any
other sites that are still running.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

From: Anthony Jones on
<avrbadri(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Oct 25, 12:37 pm, "Anthony Jones" <A...(a)yadayadayada.com> wrote:
> > <avrba...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

I am

> > nuts.For
> > on my
> > as
> > are

> > classic
Thanks

> > installed
> > such

> > VB

> > > everything ... I used Depends.exe to confirm all the dependencies are
> > > into the system .. Am I getting your point ? Let me know , thanks
> >
> > Depends.exe only shows you standard dlls whose exported functions the
> > component has linked to. However the vast majority of a VB components
> > dependancies will be for COM (or ActiveX) components which depends.exe
> > doesn't show you.
> >
> > You need to be familar with the component or have its source code to
inspect
> > the type libraries that it is referencing.
> >
> > --
> > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET- Hide quoted text -

> OK , I did a check of the needed type libraries and all those things
> are available. Application I am trying out are very simple in nature
> and has few dependency components. And I am trying with a test .asp
> page where component is invoked.
>
> At this point of time I cant try with MTS because I am asked to
> migrate AS-IS. And currently components are registered with regsv32
> only.
>
> Any other pointers will be appreciated. Thanks,

Not sure I have anything left. Does the component have an installer or have
you just copied the dll.

Can you create an nearly empty component with no additional dependancies.
Does that work?

Has the VB runtime been installed?

Does it use ADO? if so install the latest MDAC from MS download site.
If the dependencies are few what are they?

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

From: avrbadri on
On Oct 25, 2:08 pm, "Anthony Jones" <A...(a)yadayadayada.com> wrote:
> <avrba...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Oct 25, 12:37 pm, "Anthony Jones" <A...(a)yadayadayada.com> wrote:
> > > <avrba...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> I am
> am

> > > nuts.For
> 'IUSR_account'
> > > on my
> nodes
> > > as
> applications
> > > are

> policies.But

> > > classic
> Thanks

> internal
> registered"

> > > installed
> box
> > > such

> list

> your
> > > VB

> > > Depends.exe only shows you standard dlls whose exported functions the
> > > component has linked to. However the vast majority of a VB components
> > > dependancies will be for COM (or ActiveX) components which depends.exe
> > > doesn't show you.
>
> > > You need to be familar with the component or have its source code to
> inspect
> > > the type libraries that it is referencing.
>
> > > --
> > > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET- Hide quoted text -

> > OK , I did a check of the needed type libraries and all those things
> > are available. Application I am trying out are very simple in nature
> > and has few dependency components. And I am trying with a test .asp
> > page where component is invoked.
>
> > At this point of time I cant try with MTS because I am asked to
> > migrate AS-IS. And currently components are registered with regsv32
> > only.
>
> > Any other pointers will be appreciated. Thanks,
>
> Not sure I have anything left. Does the component have an installer or have
> you just copied the dll.
>
> Can you create an nearly empty component with no additional dependancies.
> Does that work?
>
> Has the VB runtime been installed?
>
> Does it use ADO? if so install the latest MDAC from MS download site.
> If the dependencies are few what are they?
>
> --
> Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET- Hide quoted text -

Thanks ...

I just copied over the dll;s and started registering it .. additional
dependencies are the custom dlls which is written like
db connect component,upload component etc., It uses ADO.

I used filemon,regmon ... but no indications whatsoever ..

To my surprise, I created a near empty component which adds two
integers and I called it from .asp page and it works.
I am geting little confused noe ;-) whers the problem .. ??

From: Anthony Jones on

> On Oct 25, 2:08 pm, "Anthony Jones" <A...(a)yadayadayada.com> wrote:
>
> I just copied over the dll;s and started registering it .. additional
> dependencies are the custom dlls which is written like
> db connect component,upload component etc., It uses ADO.
>
> I used filemon,regmon ... but no indications whatsoever ..
>
> To my surprise, I created a near empty component which adds two
> integers and I called it from .asp page and it works.
> I am geting little confused noe ;-) whers the problem .. ??

Do you have this working on another machine?

If so download this tool from Microsoft:-

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx

and install it on the working machine.

In IIS manager set application protection to high (isolated). This will
ensure your web app runs in its own process.

Visit the page on the working machine. This will cause the application
process to spin up and load all the dlls it needs to do the job.

Now use Component Services mmc console click on COM+ Applications in My
computer. Change to Status view. You should see a number of App names
starting with IIS. One will be IIS-{name of your app}. It will be running
and it will have a process ID.

Now start the ProcessExplorer app that you down loaded. It will list a set
of process 2 or more will be DLLHOST.exe process, one of which will have the
process ID noted above. This is Web applications process. Click on the
process and make sure the lower pane is in dll view.

Now you need to do some spade work check that each dll listed is present on
the new machine.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET