From: Neil Jordan on
I have now extended who my regular report is sent to, but I can't see any
way of telling the Server to send the extended report with remote connection
details on it, like you can get via the RWW.

Please can someone tell me the error of my ways?

Thanks

Neil

From: "Inn Jin [MSFT]" on
Hi Neil,

Thank you for posting.

From the description, I understand this issue is that you don't receive
usage report with remote connection details in it. If I am off base, please
don't hesitate to let me know.

Base on my experience, when you configure server monitoring using the
Monitoring Configuration Wizard, the following tasks are created in Task
Scheduler: Collect Usage Data, Collect Server Performance Data, and Small
Business Server - Server Status Reports - NameOfReport.

The task Collect Usage Data is scheduled to run at 4:30 AM every day by
default. It's possible that when you viewed the report the VPN access
initialized by the 3rd party was not collected.

In Server Management, check the server usage report again, does it show
that VPN access?

The following articles should help:

834120 TechNet Support WebCast: Monitoring features in Microsoft Windows
Small Business Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=834120

For more information about monitoring and reporting features in SBS 2003,
please also refer to Help and Support Center: on the SBS server, click
Start, click Help and Support, and then click "Monitor your server" in the
Help Contents list.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, please help gather the following
information:

1. Can all remote access be seen in server usage report or just some
specific users cannot be seen?

2. Can you see remote connections detailed information in RWW that you
cannot see in the mail report?

3. Please gather the RAS log (IASLOG.LOG or INYYMMDD.LOG locate in
%windir%\system32\LogFiles) and send to my working mailbox
v-innjin(a)microsoft.com

Note: Please tell me the user name who initiated the accesses that were
missing from the report.

More information:

Monitoring Your Server
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2003/support/1f99edc1-98ef-
482d-a87b-9ce72a5117f4.mspx?mfr=true

I appreciate your time. I am happy to be of assistance to you and look
forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Inn Jin (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

From: Neil Jordan on
Hi

I can confirm that the Extended report USED TO show Remote Connections
perfectly. However of late, it seems to now be omitting that information.
The same is true of when I view the report from the Server via Server
Management

I can see for sure that remote connections are being made from the IN***
logs as usual. Now the report shows all the usual information as well as the
Outlook Web Access, but seems to be missing out this detail. We have 5
users that can connect remotely and none of them appear in the report when I
know there is activity.

If I look back a couple of months, the data is there and appears in the
report, but it looks like something has stopped working.

I see that there is an option to Reinstall Monitoring Features, but I don't
really want to be loosing old information if I can help it.

I will email a couple of samples of the Log files

Neil

From: "Inn Jin [MSFT]" on
Hi Neil,

Thank you for upgrading,

From the log files you send to me, I did see entries in it, if your server
usage report didn't show this connections, that may be the issue with the
monitoring component. Hence you need to run the wizard or reinstall the
monitoring component. I understand you don't want to lose the old data,
please notice that, Monitoring component functions as a collector, it just
collects the data from the different places, such as the exchange database
etc. The original data are restoring in other databases instead of
monitoring database. When you reinstall the monitoring components, you may
lost the old data, but Monitoring component will query these databases
again, the old data will be queried and will be copied to the new
monitoring database again. Therefore, you don't worry about the loss of old
data, because they were there.

Back to the issue. Please try the following steps below.

Step 1
============
Rerun Set up Monitoring Reports and Alerts wizard by Server management ->
Monitoring and Reporting -> Set up Monitoring Reports and Alerts -> Modify
existing settings. Follow the wizard to finish, then test the issue again.

Step 2
============
Reinstall the Monitoring component by Server management -> Monitoring and
Reporting -> Set up Monitoring Reports and Alerts -> Reinstall monitoring
features. After reinstalling, test the issue again.

If the issue still exists, please gather the following information:

1. A day's INYYMMDD.LOG locate in %windir%\system32\LogFiles, A copy mail
of Server usage report mail on the same day, screenshot of the Server usage
report in RWW on that day. Send them to me at v-innjin(a)microsoft.com

2. Download and run the setup MPS report tool on the SBS 2003 server.

a. Visit
http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.exe to download the file.
b. Run the MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.exe on the server box.
c. Wait for 10~15 minutes.
d. Open Windows explorer, navigate to
%SYSTEMROOT%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab
e. Send the .cab file directly to me at v-innjin(a)microsoft.com for further
analysis.

I appreciate your effort and time on this issue. I am happy to be of

From: "Inn Jin [MSFT]" on
Hi Neil,

Thank you for reply, please monitoring your server for a period of time, if
you have update, feel free to let me know!

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Inn Jin (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support