From: Dr_No on
Using XP Prof SP3, I have IE8 and Firefox 3.5.7 on board. The "set program
access and defaults" appears to accept my instructions to make IE8 my
default browser, but immediately defaults back to Firefox, even if I tell it
not to enable access to Firefox. The effect is the same at Custom or
Microsoft settings, so I am deprived of choice. It did the same with Google
Chrome, so I uninstalled that and am sureprised that anything except IE8 is
preferred by my machine. Some may say it has good taste...Any ideas why it's
misbehaving?

From: Ol�rin on
"Dr_No" <Dr_No(a)totalise.co.uk> wrote in message
> Using XP Prof SP3, I have IE8 and Firefox 3.5.7 on board. The "set program
> access and defaults" appears to accept my instructions to make IE8 my
> default browser, but immediately defaults back to Firefox, even if I tell
> it not to enable access to Firefox. The effect is the same at Custom or
> Microsoft settings, so I am deprived of choice. It did the same with
> Google Chrome, so I uninstalled that and am sureprised that anything
> except IE8 is preferred by my machine. Some may say it has good
> taste...Any ideas why it's misbehaving?

Check Firefox's own Options/Preferences, see if it's set to take over being
your default browser.

From: Dr_No on
In Firefox - options - advanced, the system default box is not checked, but
'check now' says it is the default browser. Where do wer go from here? Help
much appreciated.

From: Questor on
--->
> In Firefox - options - advanced, the system default box is not checked, but
> 'check now' says it is the default browser. Where do wer go from here? Help
> much appreciated.
> "Ol�rin"<incanus(a)erkljrjre890aeraekj4na.com> wrote in message
>> "Dr_No"<Dr_No(a)totalise.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Using XP Prof SP3, I have IE8 and Firefox 3.5.7 on board. The "set
>>> program access and defaults" appears to accept my instructions to make
>>> IE8 my default browser, but immediately defaults back to Firefox, even if
>>> I tell it not to enable access to Firefox. The effect is the same at
>>> Custom or Microsoft settings, so I am deprived of choice. It did the same
>>> with Google Chrome, so I uninstalled that and am sureprised that anything
>>> except IE8 is preferred by my machine. Some may say it has good
>>> taste...Any ideas why it's misbehaving?
>>>

>> Check Firefox's own Options/Preferences, see if it's set to take over
>> being your default browser.

Try setting Firefox as your default browser, log out (or reboot) and
then uncheck Firefox as your default and check IE8 as your default. IE8
just got an update and that may have messed with settings.

Questor
From: Dr_No on
Many thanks Questor, but no luck. In the meanwhile Firefox has become 3.6.
My XP desktop has always been headstrong, and as I am halfway through my
ninth decade and my laptop runs without this problem on Windows 7, I'm not
in the mood to tackle it head-on. But if anyone knows why this has happened,
I'll be most grateful.