From: Shreyas on
All,

Finally, the 28th reply seems to have brought this thread to an end. Yes,
persistence finally got me there! Special thanks to Ash.

I am able to run both my Java code and php code on the same port (though
nothing database conversations are happening) from the same machine.

Here's the set-up :

MySQL Server 5.1 + Query Browser : port 3306. This has a schema called as NS
which is referenced by my Java code.

EasyPHP : This is running in a diferent location with its stack in C:\.

Fix : I knew all I had to do was a drop of my NS schema to a folder called
data and from nowhere I crashed into this : C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\data.

I dropped my NS schema there; checked the query browser and there it was!
Compiled my Java code and I was able to get back to my previous
environment.

So, no port conflicts, no different usernames. So far so good. Talk to you
all soon as I am gearing up with programming questions now.

--Shreyas

--
Regards,
Shreyas
From: shiplu on
Actually you just restore your NS schema in the new EasyPHP stack.

Shiplu Mokadd.im
My talks, http://talk.cmyweb.net
Follow me, http://twitter.com/shiplu
SUST Programmers, http://groups.google.com/group/p2psust
Innovation distinguishes bet ... ... (ask Steve Jobs the rest)
From: Shreyas on
Shiplu,

Not sure what you meant by that. I never had to restore anything. Would be
happy to know if I have misunderstood anything.

Regards,
Shreyas

From: "Bob McConnell" on
From: Shreyas

> Not sure what you meant by that. I never had to restore anything.
Would be
> happy to know if I have misunderstood anything.

> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:52 AM, shiplu <shiplu.net(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Actually you just restore your NS schema in the new EasyPHP stack.

The fact that you were able to add your schema by simply copying it into
the correct directory is a happy coincidence, or more likely a serious
bug in MySQL. There may be some system tables that were not updated to
reflect the presence of that schema, so some features may not work with
it.

The correct way to move a database is to back it up on the original
server, then restore it on the new one. That way all system tables would
be correctly updated by the server.

Bob McConnell
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 08:29 -0400, Bob McConnell wrote:

> From: Shreyas
>
> > Not sure what you meant by that. I never had to restore anything.
> Would be
> > happy to know if I have misunderstood anything.
>
> > On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:52 AM, shiplu <shiplu.net(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Actually you just restore your NS schema in the new EasyPHP stack.
> >>

> The fact that you were able to add your schema by simply copying it into
> the correct directory is a happy coincidence, or more likely a serious
> bug in MySQL. There may be some system tables that were not updated to
> reflect the presence of that schema, so some features may not work with
> it.
>
> The correct way to move a database is to back it up on the original
> server, then restore it on the new one. That way all system tables would
> be correctly updated by the server.
>
> Bob McConnell

On more than one occassion I've just copied the data files from one
location to another to move the database from one server to another. You
do have to ensure that the MySQL service has been stopped while you do
this, but aside from that there's nothing wrong with doing this.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk