From: RB on

> If you have to learn for new anyway why don't you have a look at C# and .Net?

If I remember correctly that depends on a runtime enviroment doesn't
it. I.e it does not compile to native code. What requirements would
I have to install to use my apps on any given machine at work?

From: David Ching on
"RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam> wrote in message
> If I remember correctly that depends on a runtime enviroment doesn't
> it. I.e it does not compile to native code. What requirements would
> I have to install to use my apps on any given machine at work?

The version of .NET your app targets (this is a property of your VS project)
is what needs to be installed on the client machine. Vista has .NET 3.0
built-in. Win 7 has .NET 3.5 SP1 built-in. Alas, XP has no .NET built-in,
but that is becoming less of a concern as XP is diminishing. I recommend
you target either .NET 2.0 (which is also included on both Vista and Win 7)
or the .NET 3.5 SP1 Client Profile, which installs rapidly on XP and is not
needed on Win 7 or later. This is a robust platform for Winforms apps.
Winforms is the easiest to learn and most like MFC. The future belongs to
WPF and Silverlight, though. For WPF, I recommend .NET 4.0 Client Profile.

I'm also leaning toward using Silverlight which is smaller than Client
Profile (has roughly the same footprint as Flash), has the option of running
in or out of a browser, and is pretty full featured.

-- David

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Not sure what you mean by "does not compile to native code". For example, it generates
MSIL, but the MSIL runtime for desktops uses a JIT (Just In Time) compiler to compile the
MSIL into native code, and often the performance of this native code is no worse than
C/C++ compiled in debug mode. You have to look not at the output from the compiler, but
the overall ecosystem in which the code exists, all the way down to execution.

So do not confuse compiler output with execution.
joe

On Tue, 11 May 2010 21:17:06 -0400, "RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam> wrote:

>> If you have to learn for new anyway why don't you have a look at C# and .Net?
>
>If I remember correctly that depends on a runtime enviroment doesn't
>it. I.e it does not compile to native code. What requirements would
>I have to install to use my apps on any given machine at work?

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: RB on
Very informative information, I saved this.

From: RB on
Oh ok, so it would not be the same as say the old Visual Basic
interpreter or Autocad's AutoLisp, which is somewhat I had
envisioned it as.