From: Blinds Nottingham on
Hi

I am a script noobie so just feeling around..

I have users which tend to drag and drop folders on a network share in
other folders by not watching what they are doing and saw an article
explaining about using the mouse drag and height functions of the
windows registry to make it harder for the accidental drag, and saw an
article about using the api rather than doing my normal registry
imports so thinking this must be accessible the wsh / vbscript

By the way, the function for changing the drag threshold is
SystemParametersInfo; check out the SPI_SETDRAGHEIGHT and
SPI_SETDRAGWIDTH parameters.
Pre-emptive correction: Do not modify the registry directly. Use the
API. That's why it's there.

Unquote

But i think this more of vb thing.. so i am looking of how to do this
in vbscript or go back to .reg imports..

My only none understanding is by doing it through a wsh rather a
regedit.. is it instantaneous when you use the api, also can i set
this a machine level as well as user level.. and how do i do that

Thanks for any responses to shed some light

From: Mayayana on
First, I don't know whether those settings will
help with people who just don't pay attention...
so i'll just address how to do it rather than whether
you should do it.

I'm guessing the setting you're talking about is
probably this, though I'm not certain:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\DragHeight
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\DragWidth

You can use the WScript.Shell object to write those
values using the RegWrite method. If you don't already
have the help file that explains that method, see here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&displaylang=en

| But i think this more of vb thing.. so i am looking of how to do this
| in vbscript or go back to .reg imports..
|
| My only none understanding is by doing it through a wsh rather a
| regedit.. is it instantaneous when you use the api,

VB and VBScript are not the same thing. To use API
calls you can use VB (not to be confused with VB.Net,
which can also do API calls....sort of). VBScript does not
do API calls.

If you write compiled code (VB, C++, etc.) you can
call SystemParametersInfo and force an immediate
update. If you change the setting via script you'll need
to then re-boot, and it's not guaranteed the setting will
take. You'd need to test it.

If you're already using .reg files that work, and you're
not planning to start writing compiled software, it
probably makes more sense to just stick with the .reg
files.

| also can i set
| this a machine level as well as user level.. and how do i do that

I doubt it. It's a user preference.