From: Melelina on
I have Vista Ultimate installed on VPC 2007 since May 2008. Host machine is
XP Pro SP2.

With guest machine in "not running" state, I click on it in Virtual Console.
Then I click on Settings. I try to click on "Memory". I get a popup stating
"Unsupported operation was attempted". BUT I do get the explanation at the
bottom right of Settings screen regarding memory. Above that is blank. There
is no slider to change the memory allocation. If I then try to close the
Settings window, using the OK button, I get three more popups all stating
"Unsupported operation attempted". I click each of them away and keep trying
and eventually I can close the Settings window.

If I open Settings and try and click on a different setting, such as any of
the virtual disk settings, I get a popup with the same error. I click the
popup off and can see the information about disk settings in the bottom
right of the window. Above that is blank.

If I click certain other settings such as Sound, I get no popup error and I
see the box at upper right top to enable/disable sound and I can check or
uncheck the box. If I then click OK to close Settings it closes instantly
with no popup error messages. If I click CD/DVD, I get an error popup but
when I click it away, I see the information at the bottom of the window and
I also get CD/DVD at the top when I can attach or unattach it. When I click
"close" Settings closes with no popup errors. Other settings bring multiple
popups with the same "Unsupported Operation Attempted" error. I click one
error off and three more appear. Then I cannot close Settings without more
of that error popping up.

I think I had this problem long ago when I first got VPC 2007, but I don't
recall how I got it fixed.

I want to add more memory and add a second virtual disk. Can someone help me
please? Thanks!

From: Melelina on

"Melelina" <melelina(a)medscape.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Ultimate installed on VPC 2007 since May 2008. Host machine is
>XP Pro SP2.
>
> With guest machine in "not running" state, I click on it in Virtual
> Console. Then I click on Settings. I try to click on "Memory". I get a
> popup stating "Unsupported operation was attempted". BUT I do get the
> explanation at the bottom right of Settings screen regarding memory. Above
> that is blank. There is no slider to change the memory allocation. If I
> then try to close the Settings window, using the OK button, I get three
> more popups all stating "Unsupported operation attempted". I click each of
> them away and keep trying and eventually I can close the Settings window.
>
> If I open Settings and try and click on a different setting, such as any
> of the virtual disk settings, I get a popup with the same error.> I think
> I had this problem long ago when I first got VPC 2007, but I don't recall
> how I got it fixed.

The solution was to COLD BOOT the host computer. I rarely do this and the
computer runs 24/7. I rebooted several times but it needed a complete shut
down for a few minutes and then, after a cold boot, I had no problems
accessing all Settings for the virtual machine with no errors or blanks on
the right side of the screen. I was able to easily change the amount of
memory with the slider.

Pages: 1
Prev: XP Mode Problem
Next: Book reference