From: Samantha on
I have win98se and want to play some old DOS games but I can't remember how
to load cd-rom & mouse drivers in the autoexec.bat and config.sys. Also, can
anyone tell me if these setting are correct?

Autoexec
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T?
(I can't remember what the 'T' is for and how to check what number should
follow it)

Config
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe

DEVICE=C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
FILES=30
STACKS=0,0
BUFFERS=20
LASTDRIVE=Z

I think STACKS is suppose to be set to something other than '0,0' but I
can't remember. Did I miss anything else?

Is there a way to emulate a cd-rom drive in DOS like you can in windows
using Daemon Tools?

Thanks for any help,
Samantha

From: Michael Romes on
Samantha schrieb:
> I have win98se and want to play some old DOS games but I can't remember
> how to load cd-rom & mouse drivers in the autoexec.bat and config.sys.
> Also, can anyone tell me if these setting are correct?

I would not bother with trying to restart the PC in MS-DOS for each old
game or manually writing game-specific autoexec.bat and config.sys
files. If it does not run in Windows 98SE then the easiest way would be
to use DOSBOX:
http://www.dosbox.com/

which allows to simulate many different settings to get old DOS games to
run.
From: Samantha on
"Michael Romes" wrote in

>> I have win98se and want to play some old DOS games but I can't remember
>> how to load cd-rom & mouse drivers in the autoexec.bat and config.sys.
>> Also, can anyone tell me if these setting are correct?

> I would not bother with trying to restart the PC in MS-DOS for each old
> game or manually writing game-specific autoexec.bat and config.sys files.
> If it does not run in Windows 98SE then the easiest way would be to use
> DOSBOX:
> http://www.dosbox.com/

> which allows to simulate many different settings to get old DOS games to
> run.

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of DOSBOX but haven't tried it yet. I also
have DOS 6.22 that I can load in Virtual PC and use Turbo to throttle down
the CPU, if I can't get Win98 working. What I was wondering, what's the
difference between the two? Does DOSBOX have some advantages that DOS does
not in regards to gaming?

From: Ingeborg on
Samantha wrote:

> I have win98se and want to play some old DOS games but I can't
> remember how to load cd-rom & mouse drivers in the autoexec.bat and
> config.sys.

cdrom:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190303>
mouse:
When you have a 'mouse.com' or msmouse.com in your dos directory, just
call it from autoexec.bat. You can put LH before it to load it in UMB.

> Is there a way to emulate a cd-rom drive in DOS like you can in
> windows using Daemon Tools?

I don't think so.
From: Samantha on
"Ingeborg" wrote:

> Samantha wrote:

>> I have win98se and want to play some old DOS games but I can't
>> remember how to load cd-rom & mouse drivers in the autoexec.bat and
>> config.sys.

> cdrom:
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190303>
> mouse:
> When you have a 'mouse.com' or msmouse.com in your dos directory, just
> call it from autoexec.bat. You can put LH before it to load it in UMB.

Thanks, that helped a lot.