From: Cheri on
Hi,

Recently when I try to shut down win98 to restart in MS-DOS mode, an
Open With box comes up that says "click the program you want to use to
ope the file 'Exit To Dos.pif.' Why is this happening instead of the
computer restarting in DOS? It never did that before, when I get to
the Dos Prompt there is C:\WINDOWS> but everything I type to try to
get to DOS says invalid file name. How do I get to DOS from there? Or
more importantly how do I get it back to the way it's always been,
when clicking on restart in DOS, it does? TIA
--
Cheri

From: Ingeborg on
Cheri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently when I try to shut down win98 to restart in MS-DOS mode, an
> Open With box comes up that says "click the program you want to use to
> ope the file 'Exit To Dos.pif.' Why is this happening instead of the
> computer restarting in DOS? It never did that before, when I get to
> the Dos Prompt there is C:\WINDOWS> but everything I type to try to
> get to DOS says invalid file name. How do I get to DOS from there? Or
> more importantly how do I get it back to the way it's always been,
> when clicking on restart in DOS, it does? TIA

Have you had a virus, before this problem arose? In that case it can have
hijacked some important registry settings. To repair this you can download
and install this tool:
<http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2004-050614-0532-99>
From: Lee on
On Aug 17, 7:04 am, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently when I try to shut down win98 to restart in MS-DOS mode, an
> Open With box comes up that says "click the program you want to use to
> ope the file 'Exit To Dos.pif.' Why is this happening instead of the
> computer restarting in DOS? It never did that before, when I get to
> the Dos Prompt there is C:\WINDOWS> but everything I type to try to
> get to DOS says invalid file name. How do I get to DOS from there? Or
> more importantly how do I get it back to the way it's always been,
> when clicking on restart in DOS, it does? TIA
> --
> Cheri

Hi, Cheri. Something has messed up some key file associations for
you. Ingeborg's suggestion will fix you up if you download the .inf
file and right click Install it. It should fix up your screen saver
problem as well.
http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/fixswen.inf

Then you can go hunting for the virus that did this, right?
From: Cheri on

Ingeborg wrote in message ...
>Cheri wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Recently when I try to shut down win98 to restart in MS-DOS mode,
an
>> Open With box comes up that says "click the program you want to use
>> ope the file 'Exit To Dos.pif.' Why is this happening instead of
the
>> computer restarting in DOS? It never did that before, when I get to
>> the Dos Prompt there is C:\WINDOWS> but everything I type to try to
>> get to DOS says invalid file name. How do I get to DOS from there?
Or
>> more importantly how do I get it back to the way it's always been,
>> when clicking on restart in DOS, it does? TIA
>
>Have you had a virus, before this problem arose? In that case it can
have
>hijacked some important registry settings. To repair this you can
download
>and install this tool:
><http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2004-050
614-0532-99>

I did download it, but when I click on install, nothing happens. If
I've had a virus it's not showing anywhere. Scanned with paid AVG and
scanned with SuperAntiSpyware for spyware. Nothing shows up, so dunno.
At any rate, thanks for the info.

Cheri

From: Cheri on

Lee wrote in message
<39b248a6-50ab-42d0-9326-770a5c89481a(a)y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>...
On Aug 17, 7:04 am, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently when I try to shut down win98 to restart in MS-DOS mode, an
> Open With box comes up that says "click the program you want to use
> ope the file 'Exit To Dos.pif.' Why is this happening instead of the
> computer restarting in DOS? It never did that before, when I get to
> the Dos Prompt there is C:\WINDOWS> but everything I type to try to
> get to DOS says invalid file name. How do I get to DOS from there?
Or
> more importantly how do I get it back to the way it's always been,
> when clicking on restart in DOS, it does? TIA
> --
> Cheri

Hi, Cheri. Something has messed up some key file associations for
you. Ingeborg's suggestion will fix you up if you download the .inf
file and right click Install it. It should fix up your screen saver
problem as well.
http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/fixswen.inf

Then you can go hunting for the virus that did this, right?

Same thing happens there as happened with Ingeborgs suggested
download. I did download, and when I click on install, nothing
happens. Thanks for trying to help me, I appreciate it, but I must
admit, I am not the sharpest computer person at all. I'm old now. :-)

Cheri